• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Possiblity of switch barrel

dontstrokeme

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2007
Port Angeles, WA
Looking at the Surgeon WSM action for a switch barrel rifle. Thinking on 3 rounds and 1 stock/scope/action and all Rem Varm contour barrels. Being that the recoil lug gives an easy location to hold the action and two passes in the smith's mill and I would have flats on the barrel, scribe a line to confirm correct head space after change and a torque wrench to make it easy and it would be a swapper!!! Build out from the truck's 2" hitch and make a wrench to hold the action and it woulld be field ready correct?

Question is if I ordered the WSM action would I be able to run a .473 and a .378 bolt with that reciever? Looking at their site the opening for the feed ramp on the WSM is longer than the S/A and the bolt travels .095 back further?

I will try to call them today but figured I would ask here as well to see if anybody has done this before....or if I could just get the S/A and have them make the WSM bolt face for that reciever.

Calibers I am planning on are 223AI....7mm-08....and 270WSM...I love the 270WSM and getting me to 7mmWSM would take a lot. Toying with the notion that I will probably have to run detatchable mags to get all the rounds to chamber correctly, but keep the mags with the bolts and it should be hassel free.

Thanks for any input.

Re: Possiblity of switch barrel

With the advent of the .223 AICS magazines, you should be able to feed all three of those cartidges with the same AICS magazine compatible bottom metal.

You will need 3 different bolts for it. I dont think Preston makes a 223 bolt but i could be wrong

Thanks Nesika....never thought of that....I guess it would be a 270WSM and a 7mm-08 only then.

Is the idea behind the way of field switching barrels coherent? If I have the local smith build it are there any specific key features to make sure he adds....nothing propriatary of course!!
shocked.gif

make sure you have someone that knows how to and has done it before not just any smith.