• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Possibly damaged my scope? UPDATE

Tengo1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
So I picked up a Switchview power magnifaction handle at the Shot Show for my Leupold Mark 4. I put it on tonight and slowly tightend the two allen screws to hold it firmly in place. I dont know why I do it, but I have a habit of overtighting things. I had it on there plenty firm, but decided to tighten it down just a tad more, so I would know that thing was on there GOOD and wont be coming off.

Well, as I slowly started to tighten one side, I heard a small, faint quick swoosh of air, for no more than a second. I immediatley backed the screw off and it stopped. I came to my senses, and realized it was tighter than it needed to be and backed off the other one as well, so its snug, but not crazy tight.

I sat there at first kinda dumbfounded at what the sound was. Then realized... These things are nitrogon filled, and I think I was squeezing the magnification ring so tight that I caused a leak. I have sat with my ear right against the ring in a silent room and can not hear any more air leaking. Like I said, it did it for just a second until I backed the screw off. It wasn't loud, or like a burst where I might have done serious damage to any type of seal, but it did shoot out a real quick very quiet "pssss".

What say the hide? Do you think I'm fine? I am kinda freaking out that I might have damaged my $1500 scope.

Update: 1/29/12. I think I am good guys, I took it out this weekend for a coyote calling contest. We covered 400 miles, shooting in temps from 22 degrees up to the mid 50's. And went from 6400 feet down to 2500 and back up again. My scope never fogged, hazed over, anything. While I'm sure I let a little leak when I put the switch view on, I'm pretty confident now that its still good to go. I guess time will tell, but after this weekend I think I am good.

Re: Possibly damaged my scope?

Im sure it was the Nitro coming out.. If you dont hear anymore coming out, then odds are it all escaped! Call Leupy up and get them to fix it!

I really think it was to quick and small for it to all come out. I am talking less than a second, and the second I heard it I reversed the screw and it immediatly stopped. I am sure a minimal amount came out at that time. But I dont know if I ruined the seal, and it might possiblt slowly leak out over time.

and if you go up and then back down in surrounding air pressure you are going to suck in ambient moisture and it's game over. Get Leupold to fix it seems like good advice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tengo1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really think it was to quick and small for it to all come out. I am talking less than a second, and the second I heard it I reversed the screw and it immediatly stopped. I am sure a minimal amount came out at that time. But I dont know if I ruined the seal, and it might possiblt slowly leak out over time. </div></div>

true, you may still have integrity... you'll find out pretty quick with a passing storm or two where baro pressure will vary and if there is a leak, moisture will get sucked in.

these scopes are not filled with 20psi of nitro.. its minimal, like 1-2lbs i believe.. so what you heard come out is more than likely 2lbs of nitro..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">these scopes are not filled with 20psi of nitro.. its minimal, like 1-2lbs i believe.. so what you heard come out is more than likely 2lbs of nitro.. </div></div>

Shit balls.

I've partially disassembled 3 or 4 scopes before, and have never had any issues resulting from "the gas leaking out". I've had a couple of those same scopes in some wildly varying humidity, temperature, and altitudes, and none have fogged up internally. The seal is most likely just an o-ring with some grease on it; you probably didn't do a thing to it.

If you run into problems down the road, send it in for repair. My guess is that it's fine.

air pressure at sea level is like 14.7psi right? Therefore his 20psi of nitrogen would have been about right...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">air pressure at sea level is like 14.7psi right? Therefore his 20psi of nitrogen would have been about right... </div></div>

I'm at about 4500 feet right now. I do alot of coyote hunting ranging from about 2000 feet to 7000 feet above sea level. So I guess I will know fairly quickly if it has a leak.

Yes you certainly will... if it doesn't moisture up in in your first traversal up and down that altitude, it's going to be OK.

Keep in mind a few things here:
Most scopes companies charge the scope with nitrogen with the ocular screwed all the way out. When you screw it in you do pressurize the scope slightly and that is what you heard- you broke a seal and let the pressure build up out.
The big thing here is did anything get IN! We use nitrogen or whichever inert gas to remove any air or moisture in the scope, typically the scope gets evacuated in a vacuum to remove all moisture from inside the scope and then filled up.
There is no doubt that the overtightening breached a seal but I am not convinced that that short duration allowed any moisture to get inside the unit.
An easy check would be to cool the scope down and then bring it out to room temp and see if any condensation occures inside the unit- if it does then air got into the scope and you should have it serviced, if not you are GTG as long as you don't overtighten the lever again.
Just my 2 cents though,
Thanks,
Paul

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Plange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keep in mind a few things here:
Most scopes companies charge the scope with nitrogen with the ocular screwed all the way out. When you screw it in you do pressurize the scope slightly and that is what you heard- you broke a seal and let the pressure build up out.
The big thing here is did anything get IN! We use nitrogen or whichever inert gas to remove any air or moisture in the scope, typically the scope gets evacuated in a vacuum to remove all moisture from inside the scope and then filled up.
There is no doubt that the overtightening breached a seal but I am not convinced that that short duration allowed any moisture to get inside the unit.
An easy check would be to cool the scope down and then bring it out to room temp and see if any condensation occures inside the unit- if it does then air got into the scope and you should have it serviced, if not you are GTG as long as you don't overtighten the lever again.
Just my 2 cents though,
Thanks,
Paul </div></div>

theres your answer for you, good luck