• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Post 64 Model 70 Match Rifle w/ 12x Unertl value

noremorse92

Private
Minuteman
Sep 4, 2023
Canada
I've come across a post 64 national Match m70 in 308 with a nice 12x Unertl on top. The receiver is clip slotted and has the correct sight bases for the aperture set up. Definitely not a clone.

However the stock's pistol grip has been modified to suit a right handed shooter. The rest of the rifle appears in quite good condition.

I'm curious as to what the value on this rig might be in 2024, assuming a decent bore and functioning optic.

Pictures would help.

Also any known competition history?

Both matter.

A modified Mod 70 post ‘64 is not valuable. Scope may be worth more than the rifle!

But if it’s from a name gunsmith or you can show it was shot at camp Perry or has a similar provenance… that can change everything.

Cheers!

Sirhr

Here's some photos of the rifle in question

Attachments

• G960298A__79563.jpg
    G960298A__79563.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 94
  • G960298B__66559.jpg
    G960298B__66559.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 94
  • G960298F__02797.jpg
    G960298F__02797.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 92
  • G960298G__10671.jpg
    G960298G__10671.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 94
  • G960298H__01806.jpg
    G960298H__01806.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 93
Pictures would help.

Also any known competition history?

Both matter.

A modified Mod 70 post ‘64 is not valuable. Scope may be worth more than the rifle!

But if it’s from a name gunsmith or you can show it was shot at camp Perry or has a similar provenance… that can change everything.

Cheers!

Sirhr
No idea on history and yes unfortunately they aren't sought after as the pre 64s but it IS from what I can tell a factory match variant, so must be worth more than a run of the mill m70 push feed sporter.

I'm interested in it as a neat old school shooter mostly. I'm not a collector per say. I like interesting rifles.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
That scope is probably close to $1,000 all alone. Maybe a bit less. But nice ones with bases, etc. aren't cheap!

Whoever did the modifications to that rifle did a nice job. And you are right... a post-64 is not especially valuable. Until you get into things like factory target rifles.

I pulled this off another site and it is interesting because the post-64 target rifles may actually be better shooters than the pre-1964. Here is the text:

"...post 64 variations, such as the Ultra Match, and Palma Match rifles (1968,71 and 76). These were built in the custom shop with special attention given to their assembly including factory bedding of receivers with Bisonite, and externally adjustable triggers. Winchester took a great deal of pride in these rifles and they showed it, garnering praise from the International group of shooters that competed with them. All barrels were lead-lapped for precise tolerance and smooth finish. The latter targets used hammerforged barrels with extremely tight tolerance and concentricity. Winchester had never gone to this degree of attention and detail for any of their target rifles with the possible exception of the handful of single shot 70’s manufactured in the 1950’s, for the AMTU at Ft Benning for use in International competition. These are not even a fair comparison when you consider they were hand built exclusively under contract for the Army. I have test results from this group of rifles and they would not be anything enviable today. Even those, in my opinion pale in comparison to the quality and accuracy of the later rifles."

If you can figure out if yours is one of the Ultra Match or Palma rifles... then you may be looking at something really special.

If I were to pull a number out of thin air... I'd say if it really is a target rifle, even post-64, you would be looking at a minimum of $1,000 for the rifle. As much as the post '64's aren't collectible, try finding one for less than 700 - 800! And the modifications to yours look well done.

BTW, here is sort of a comparable. I'd not call this out of this world in terms of asking price.... https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1038009913

So I'd say you are looking at something that is probably well bought at $2,000. Probably REALLY well bought at less than that. And probably not out of the realm of possibility at $3k. Maybe more if it has a real history or if you can link it to the 'smith who built it. Competition guns are a thing.

Hope this helps! Big range, I know. And a lot of 'if's.' But unique things are hard to value, too! Maybe some of my fellow vintage fans will want to chime in and confirm or refute my thoughts!

Cheers,

Sirhr

That scope is probably close to $1,000 all alone. Maybe a bit less. But nice ones with bases, etc. aren't cheap!

Whoever did the modifications to that rifle did a nice job. And you are right... a post-64 is not especially valuable. Until you get into things like factory target rifles.

I pulled this off another site and it is interesting because the post-64 target rifles may actually be better shooters than the pre-1964. Here is the text:

"...post 64 variations, such as the Ultra Match, and Palma Match rifles (1968,71 and 76). These were built in the custom shop with special attention given to their assembly including factory bedding of receivers with Bisonite, and externally adjustable triggers. Winchester took a great deal of pride in these rifles and they showed it, garnering praise from the International group of shooters that competed with them. All barrels were lead-lapped for precise tolerance and smooth finish. The latter targets used hammerforged barrels with extremely tight tolerance and concentricity. Winchester had never gone to this degree of attention and detail for any of their target rifles with the possible exception of the handful of single shot 70’s manufactured in the 1950’s, for the AMTU at Ft Benning for use in International competition. These are not even a fair comparison when you consider they were hand built exclusively under contract for the Army. I have test results from this group of rifles and they would not be anything enviable today. Even those, in my opinion pale in comparison to the quality and accuracy of the later rifles."

If you can figure out if yours is one of the Ultra Match or Palma rifles... then you may be looking at something really special.

If I were to pull a number out of thin air... I'd say if it really is a target rifle, even post-64, you would be looking at a minimum of $1,000 for the rifle. As much as the post '64's aren't collectible, try finding one for less than 700 - 800! And the modifications to yours look well done.

BTW, here is sort of a comparable. I'd not call this out of this world in terms of asking price.... https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1038009913

So I'd say you are looking at something that is probably well bought at $2,000. Probably REALLY well bought at less than that. And probably not out of the realm of possibility at $3k. Maybe more if it has a real history or if you can link it to the 'smith who built it. Competition guns are a thing.

Hope this helps! Big range, I know. And a lot of 'if's.' But unique things are hard to value, too! Maybe some of my fellow vintage fans will want to chime in and confirm or refute my thoughts!

Cheers,

Sirhr
Thanks for the detailed response. I'm leaning towards picking it up for sure now. I thought it looked pretty legit, even with the minor modifications. It has a timney trigger as well I ought to add.

The ad states a 27.5 inch barrel. I'm wondering if there was a variation of the m70 target that had that length on it. It is clip slotted so likely a true target model. The post 64 targets were the only ones that had the clip slot for the post 64 actions.

post a price, and would probably get a better yay or nay from some other folks.

Pre 64s can be found for decent prices. I picked up a 1962 featherweight in 243 for less than 1k just a few weeks ago. It was a good starter for a clone ish build, and I didn’t feel bad about changing it up.

Reactions: noremorse92
post a price, and would probably get a better yay or nay from some other folks.

Pre 64s can be found for decent prices. I picked up a 1962 featherweight in 243 for less than 1k just a few weeks ago. It was a good starter for a clone ish build, and I didn’t feel bad about changing it up.
It's 1200 bucks. Seems like a buy to me.

I bought a fair condition pre 64 varmint in 243 last October for 450 bucks, had a canjar trigger too. Cleaned it, refinished the stock, touched up some bluing.The previous owner had full length bedded the stock and barrel channel and I didn't want to deal with that. Sold it for 2x my money.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
Update:

Spoke with the guy at the gun store ( far from me) and he said the bore looked good and there was nothing wrong with the scope that he could see. Guy had no idea what the rifle was or that they had it at the shop, so no skin in the game. Ended up buying it. 1200 usd not too shabby.

I don't think I've ever seen a factory Winchester with the barrel contour. The position of the front sight block is also kind of odd.

I don't think I've ever seen a factory Winchester with the barrel contour. The position of the front sight block is also kind of odd.
Its definitely not a factory barrel. Doing some more research the factory barrel would have been much thicker. This looks to be more like a remington varmint type contour. Either way I'm pumped for it to arrive

Its definitely not a factory barrel. Doing some more research the factory barrel would have been much thicker. This looks to be more like a remington varmint type contour. Either way I'm pumped for it to arrive

As sirh said, the scope alone is $800-$1000 on its own. You did good. It's unique and I like it

Good buy…. Last unertl 16x I got was $1000, purchased a beautiful post64 model 70 target awhile back for $850.

Agreed, good price for what you got. Look forward to some updated pics and range report