• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Post 64' Winchester model 70

komifornian

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2011
Peoples Republic of Kalifornia
I'm thinking about buying a used Winchester model 70 that I can pick up really cheap but don't have any experience with them. Up to now I've either gone the custom route or with Remington actions as a starting point for a build. Are post 64' Winchester actions any good? Just looking for opinions..

Thanks-

Some are better than others. Just depends on when and where it was built. The better ones are excellent. Especially the later versions that are CRF. I have had four and still have three. With the exception of an AI, dont intend on ever buying anything else.

They get little respect, but they can be an excellent action to work with. FaI have a 6XC built on a Winchester 770 (essentially an ADL-style budget Win 70) that is shooting great groups. Can't complain.

This write up might give you a little bit of insight into the different changes through the years ...
Winchester Model 70 rifles (Win. Model 70)

I love my Model 70, it's a '92 revision, I had it reworked by McBros many years ago. I haven't shot it much in a while but since I'm getting older it's got my attention again, as it should be ...

mcmillan600x450.jpg