• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Post-Ban conversion to Pre-Ban

BigBarks

Private
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2009
Dublin, Ohio, USA
I bought a Bushmaster XM-15 back in 2002 during the Fed Assault Weapons Ban. After '03 I immediately put a collapsible stock to make it pre-ban. There is no bayonet lug... which I never cared about anyway. I have a Bushmaster Y-comp brake that is welded on to the barrel. Any suggestions on removing said brake and replacing it with something that isn't gonna piss off the guys shooting beside me? I want to keep my options open for the future... i.e. like a surefire can down the way!

Re: Post-Ban conversion to Pre-Ban

The Y-comp is pinned, and then welded over the pin.

If you are skilled in the use of metal cutting tools (die grinder, cutoff wheel, etc.) it isn't a big deal to remove. If lacking in the skill set, leave it up to a smith so as not to ruin the underlying threads.

ETA: And if it's a 14.5" bbl that it's on, be sure you have the means and skill to immediately and permanently (per ATF's definition of permanent) attach a new brake for an overall length of at least 16"...unless you're gonna go the SBR route.

AR15.com has a section on removing your current set up. It should not be too difficult with a little patience.

Greg L.

Sorry took so long to get back... Thanks for the help! I've got the tools and I'm sure I can work up the courage. Its kind of like the first time I used durocoat on a gun... it took two weeks to work up the courage to put that first coat on.

Thanks!

Like they said above, if it's a 14.5" barrel you'd better remove and replace (correctly) the same day.

On the other hand it might be a good time to switch out my barrel and go with something a little different. Any ideas on types of barrels? Opinions on Chrome-lined?

I definitely want to stay out of trouble with the ATF. I plan to eventually build my own SPR and I already have an Armalite AR-10 for the distance work. I'm really interested in sticking with a medium to close range carbine.