• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Post Count Bumping...

SRPowah

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Black Hills SoDak
No, I didn't want to be that guy that ask Frank to bump everyone's post count to where it was. I asked him to so i could get closer to the minimum needed to post a couple items back up for sale that I had on Scout. Now my local car scene had a forum switch last year and it required 50 post to view/post in the classifieds. Something we did was create a junk topic that people can essentially spam useless messages into to get to 50 quickly rather than put useless comments on every single thread we could find..

Yay or nay on the idea here? At least until people get transitioned back to this site under any new usernames and then you can put an end to the practice. Not sure if it will cause a hiccup with the server...

For me, that kind of defeats the purpose of the post count requirement. I'd assume it's there to limit the sales to people who actually contribute here instead of running up a number real quick. I had about 500ish posts on scout and had to start over here. It is what it is. It will come in time. And honestly, my wallet is thanking me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I vote, nay

Post counts mean squat, to most an nothing to me. In-fact I've ask Frank to lock mine at zero. I understand the post count thing for the PX*, but I believe it could be done another way as well.

* If someone is here to sell, or haunt the bear-pit only, what do they contribute to the site's theme in general? Frank did not set this place up to deal with the hassle the PX brings, and for sure not the heart burn he suffered long ago over it.

I agree fully guys. This is simply to help those transitioning back from Scout and have to start over with a post count for the PX. I came to this forum with a count of zero, yet could no longer post the Grendel upper I am selling back on Scout. I have recently had transactions on Scout so it is not like I am someone that just popped up. I am thinking let it run for the month and then shut this down come March and let people earn it from there.

Some people don't have much experience to contribute, yet love to read and shoot...so my post count is low even though I have been playing with firearms for 15 years (I know, way less than some). I always have the forum open at work, yet nothing to comment. Should that prevent me from selling my precision shooting supplies?

If anyone is a contributing member of Snipershide 100 posts of even low quality contribution shouldn't take to long to achieve. The idea of a junk thread to spam yourself to 50 defeats the purpose of vetting yourself and having a "online presence" that can be looked at to judge the person selling and purchasing an item. It is about the only thing Frank or the Mods can do to control the PX.

Who cares about post count? My vote would be to have no post counts on anyone's id space. Why should ideas or comments or anything else be more or less valid because of a post count? We all know who the old guys are... who to listen to. Who to laugh at.

Post count means nothing. I'm with gunfighter. Lock them all at zero. Call it a day.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Yibble Yibble Yibble....

If you're really concerned about your post count, figure out what it was on Scout, then let Lowlight know in the "punch list" thread. He's updated them for a ton of guys already. My Scout posts didn't carry over, but once you're allowed access to the PX your post count is pretty meaningless.

This is an information site, Not Gunbroker or a paid site to post things for sale. The classifieds are a service to CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS ... it's not here to let every swinging dick post and scam our members

It's not hard to contribute in a meaningful way. If you want to post shit for sale, you can pay... I will have the pay wall fixed by the weekend. and if you can't wait for a 100 posts, you can pay me to post.

Nobody wants to deal with someone who just comes here looking to sell their shit, odds are, it's shit too.

No, NO, FUCK NO, on that junk section to bump posts... fuck you pay me :)

Do what Maser does. Post music videos in the music video thread incessantly and give yourself three stars to overcome the 2.1 average that you're stuck with. Oh, wait, that doesn't work here.

Reactions: Queequeg
This is an information site, Not Gunbroker or a paid site to post things for sale. The classifieds are a service to CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS ... it's not here to let every swinging dick post and scam our members

It's not hard to contribute in a meaningful way. If you want to post shit for sale, you can pay... I will have the pay wall fixed by the weekend. and if you can't wait for a 100 posts, you can pay me to post.

Nobody wants to deal with someone who just comes here looking to sell their shit, odds are, it's shit too.

No, NO, FUCK NO, on that junk section to bump posts... fuck you pay me :)

I can't believe you always beat around the bush, like you do! If you have something to say Frank, why not spit it out and be done with it. LOL

Reactions: Queequeg
To LL's point... and it is a valid one. Especially since he owns the place. So by definition, all his points are valid!

Freeze all post counts at 101.... and we're done.

I'm probably in the minority... but I could care less what anyone's count is. I do care about the quality of their ideas and experience and knowledge. None of those things are influenced by post count.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Do all cunning linguists have hairy teeth?

The 100 post rule was started to keep people from showing up and scamming our members.... it was too easy, and as popular as SH is, to figure out what people are buying, and post up a deal too good to pass up. There are some pretty slick schemes out there, and we want to do our best to protect our members. Most scam artist will not stick around for 100 posts and by paying to post, we capture information that can be used if things go wrong. Maybe, maybe not.. but it's the difference between locking your door and leaving it wide open. By at least locking the door we hopefully keep out the target of opportunity scammers

The for sale system is even more important than ever because FB shuts that shit down. Facebook is my competition ... every dumb ass with a FB account can start a group and then add in people without any help of the unsuspecting FB Member. Fuck, I get added to FB Groups every damn day, and they are beyond ridiculous the level of stupid found there. We can start a post in the Bear Pit called, "The Dumbest Thing I Read on FB Today" and it's been bigger than the Motivational Pix thread in about 3 months

There is a method to our madness ... I get people feel validated by their post count. All I am doing in-between everything else is updating post counts. It's important to people... it says, in some small way I paid my dues, now listen to me.

Exactly. I've been screwed over the Internet by people that live within 10 miles of me and I know their address, phone number and e-mail address! Post count doesn't mean shit in the world of finances - no representation of reliability, responsibility or quality.

Point being, always be cautious no matter what. The good-guy list is a good start. If a deal is too good to be true then it usually is.

Exactly. I've been screwed over the Internet by people that live within 10 miles of me and I know their address, phone number and e-mail address! Post count doesn't mean shit in the world of finances - no representation of reliability, responsibility or quality.

Point being, always be cautious no matter what. The good-guy list is a good start. If a deal is too good to be true then it usually is.

Getting screwed out of some money from someone 3K miles away is one thing, getting screwed by someone within 10 miles of me..I'm getting some sort of PAYBACK for sure !

Oh I got my money back - believe me! If I hadn't been local I would have been ultimately screwed.

I agree, though as someone who reads and appreciates this site daily for years I will need to post useless posts to regain enough to sell on the PX. So in advance, my apologies.

I understand exactly why there is a post limit to post in the PX, hence why I suggested this as a temporary transition idea. Not everyone will have their post bumped back up. I DO NOT CARE ABOUT POST COUNT. In fact, I agree we shouldn't have it at all but there should be something active to help prevent spam and scams. Either way, we have seen the answers. Lock this thread.

I don't see any value in post count or feedback...you can get fucked over by someone who has high count and even 100% feedback- happens all the time.

Reactions: vwhugger
I understand exactly why there is a post limit to post in the PX, hence why I suggested this as a temporary transition idea. Not everyone will have their post bumped back up. I DO NOT CARE ABOUT POST COUNT. In fact, I agree we shouldn't have it at all but there should be something active to help prevent spam and scams. Either way, we have seen the answers. Lock this thread.

I've been on this site for many years, probably hundreds of posts, as of today I apparently have 5. Suck it up, buttercup. I'm sure that crap you need to sell will keep or can be sold elsewhere. If it is really important start reading threads and contributing.

Yay, I now have six. Apparently this insight increases my legitimacy.

Yes, this is ridiculous. But the intent of the rule does serve a legitimate purpose.

You could always be the dude that just posts "tag" in every single thread. Always wondered why people did that..

I was just talking to a friend recently about buying and selling online. He couldn't believe that I was willing to be so vulnerable. I told him, on the contrary, I've found that getting to know people online (in other forums, previously.) has allowed me to meet some of the more honest people that I've ever dealt with. The post count matters because if someone has the patience to build online friendships, or at least get to know the username very well, it creates a safe place to trade. I like knowing I can trust people, and I like knowing that the people I'm looking at buying from have invested themselves.

I was just talking to a friend recently about buying and selling online. He couldn't believe that I was willing to be so vulnerable. I told him, on the contrary, I've found that getting to know people online (in other forums, previously.) has allowed me to meet some of the more honest people that I've ever dealt with. The post count matters because if someone has the patience to build online friendships, or at least get to know the username very well, it creates a safe place to trade. I like knowing I can trust people, and I like knowing that the people I'm looking at buying from have invested themselves.

This is actually a really good point. It mirrors my use of other people's post count - also, WHERE they've posted.

The 100 post rule was started to keep people from showing up and scamming our members.... it was too easy, and as popular as SH is, to figure out what people are buying, and post up a deal too good to pass up. There are some pretty slick schemes out there, and we want to do our best to protect our members. Most scam artist will not stick around for 100 posts and by paying to post, we capture information that can be used if things go wrong. Maybe, maybe not.. but it's the difference between locking your door and leaving it wide open. By at least locking the door we hopefully keep out the target of opportunity scammers

The for sale system is even more important than ever because FB shuts that shit down. Facebook is my competition ... every dumb ass with a FB account can start a group and then add in people without any help of the unsuspecting FB Member. Fuck, I get added to FB Groups every damn day, and they are beyond ridiculous the level of stupid found there. We can start a post in the Bear Pit called, "The Dumbest Thing I Read on FB Today" and it's been bigger than the Motivational Pix thread in about 3 months

There is a method to our madness ... I get people feel validated by their post count. All I am doing in-between everything else is updating post counts. It's important to people... it says, in some small way I paid my dues, now listen to me.

Ive been fortunate Ive had nothing but good experiences in the For Sale section. Got some really great deals and some very rare gear.

That said, I would not object to seeing it raised to a 250 minimum. By then youve established an identity and people know if they are comfortable with your persona. But I defer to LL. Scams still could happen. I think we'll see less goobers now that We're separate from Scout.

Fuck that! All that will do is attract the BARFCOM idiots.

Brilliant obeservation, Horshack. Care to be stationed there and serve as liaison officer?

[video=youtube;-cDAqrywsHE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cDAqrywsHE[/video]

Reactions: 1J04
You could always be the dude that just posts "tag" in every single thread. Always wondered why people did that..

By posting tag they get automatic email notification when the thread is updated. People do it when they have an interest in the thread and are trying to learn.

If you're really concerned about your post count, figure out what it was on Scout, then let Lowlight know in the "punch list" thread. He's updated them for a ton of guys already. My Scout posts didn't carry over, but once you're allowed access to the PX your post count is pretty meaningless.

Where is this thread? Cant find it anywhere

I'm not much worried about the post count thing because LL has made his position pretty clear. Personally, I want post count and join dates and recent posts etc. I value this site and join dates, post counts, reading a guys recent posts gives me an idea whether someone else values SH. I figure if the other guy values being here, he's going to be stand-up and not see any return in fucking with me. It's that simple.

Reactions: Buckshotu2
By far the bulk of my work as a moderator has been done sorting out differences on trades and sales deals between members.
Hell, a couple of weeks ago I banned what appeared to be a Nigerian scammer selling shit in our forums.
He had run up a decent post count by making useless comments like "Looks good", "Me too", etc. and was trying to get someone to pay for something with a wire money order.
Luckily, the buyer didn't feel right about it and brought it to my attention.
IP traced straight to Nigeria. Son of bitch wrote better English than half the guys here too.

There's a bunch of people who spend all of their time in the PX sections on Scout, to the point that many of them probably have no clue the site is moving back here.
That is going to be fun to watch when lights get turned off over there.

By far the bulk of my work as a moderator has been done sorting out differences on trades and sales deals between members.
Hell, a couple of weeks ago I banned what appeared to be a Nigerian scammer selling shit in our forums.
He had run up a decent post count by making useless comments like "Looks good", "Me too", etc. and was trying to get someone to pay for something with a wire money order.
Luckily, the buyer didn't feel right about it and brought it to my attention.
IP traced straight to Nigeria. Son of bitch wrote better English than half the guys here too.

Heh heh, Tucker said 'Nigerian' Heh heh.

Reactions: abizdafuzz
Where is this thread? Cant find it anywhere

Hey craigos, great seeing you back here again. The thread is the "punch list for repairs" thread in the pit. Just look at Scout or whatever basis you're using, figure out what your count should be and post it in the thread. LL said it's super easy for him to fix it. I was one of thr "lucky" ones who's count carried over to Scout, so I didn't bother asking for an adjustment once we came home.

The classifieds are a service to CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS...

Commandante/HMFIC/Lady GaGa Ogler still won't let me sell shit, apparently saggy titties and memes mocking Lady Blah Blah don't get me to that 100.

Bastards!

Worst case of count bumping I have seen lately is when someone bumps their ad to announce that it is sold. Why? Edit the ad to mark it sold and LEAVE it alone

Thank you all, LL updated my post count here - much appreciate it.

I don't, generally, like post counts as they are overrated. I've seen (on many forums) guys who seen plenty of keyboard jockeys with more free time than range time. High post counts have little to do with the quality of the information in the post. However, it's a necessary evil when it comes to selling items in the PX and I support the minimum post count requirement. In fact, I'd support a 250 minimum along with a 3 month minimum membership time- to help avoid scammers. Not many folks will stick around through the hassle in order to scam someone. I, for one, won't buy anything from a forum unless the seller has a long history and a pretty high post count - 500+. I feel that they have an investment and a reputation in the community that they don't want to ruin. As Frank said, this site isn't here to provide people with a place to sell stuff. If people moan and groan about not being able to access the PX, it seems like their interest is misplaced. Like LL said, you can always pay for the privilege. I'm always surprised that forum classifieds don't require a (small) percentage of the sale go back to the site owner to help offset costs. I'd have no problem contributing 2% or 3% of a sale to the place that facilitates the sale. Heck, it could be calculated into my price.

Post count bumping is exactly the reason that I place zero value on post counts. Seems like the people who are concerned with their numbers are typically the ones with the least "quality" in their posts. A better badge of honor, iMO, is somewhere between the length of time they've been a member and the post count.

So i just wanted to throw this out I was that one..im surprised i haven't been banned from this account.. well i did send an email apologizing and hopefully get back in.. but it is what it is.. i only had like 60 something post and just started to follow stuff here to get my numbers to sell my scope..sorry it is not worth it....and by the way i created 2 accounts because i tought i did something wrong whatever the case sorry to frank and the snipers hide team ..

So i just wanted to throw this out I was that one..im surprised i haven't been banned from this account.. well i did send an email apologizing and hopefully get back in.. but it is what it is.. i only had like 60 something post and just started to follow stuff here to get my numbers to sell my scope..sorry it is not worth it....and by the way i created 2 accounts because i tought i did something wrong whatever the case sorry to frank and the snipers hide team ..

I replied to you yesterday on Scout and told you that the reason you couldn't post over here was that your account was still awaiting the email confirmation.
I even told you it was a hotmail account. I didn't want to post the actual email address for all to see, because spammers harvest that and bombard your inbox with crap.

Not a smart move to come over here and setup another account, and then rush through threads making meaningless comments to get to 100, so you could post your scope for sale. That will never fly if it's spotted.

We'll help anyone willing to be helped, but that was definitely the wrong way to go.

Apology accepted. Welcome back.

I've been on this site for many years, probably hundreds of posts, as of today I apparently have 5. Suck it up, buttercup. I'm sure that crap you need to sell will keep or can be sold elsewhere. If it is really important start reading threads and contributing.

Yay, I now have six. Apparently this insight increases my legitimacy.

Yes, this is ridiculous. But the intent of the rule does serve a legitimate purpose.

I have to agree.

I don't, generally, like post counts as they are overrated. I've seen (on many forums) guys who seen plenty of keyboard jockeys with more free time than range time. High post counts have little to do with the quality of the information in the post. However, it's a necessary evil when it comes to selling items in the PX and I support the minimum post count requirement. In fact, I'd support a 250 minimum along with a 3 month minimum membership time- to help avoid scammers. Not many folks will stick around through the hassle in order to scam someone. I, for one, won't buy anything from a forum unless the seller has a long history and a pretty high post count - 500+. I feel that they have an investment and a reputation in the community that they don't want to ruin. As Frank said, this site isn't here to provide people with a place to sell stuff. If people moan and groan about not being able to access the PX, it seems like their interest is misplaced. Like LL said, you can always pay for the privilege. I'm always surprised that forum classifieds don't require a (small) percentage of the sale go back to the site owner to help offset costs. I'd have no problem contributing 2% or 3% of a sale to the place that facilitates the sale. Heck, it could be calculated into my price.

Post count bumping is exactly the reason that I place zero value on post counts. Seems like the people who are concerned with their numbers are typically the ones with the least "quality" in their posts. A better badge of honor, iMO, is somewhere between the length of time they've been a member and the post count.

The last paragraph is very true to me. I've found there is a strong correlation between post count and time invested as a member of a forum. If you spend enough time on a forum, you're bound to make some friends, and your post count will rise naturally.

I have been conflicted about the post count thing... I do not contribute because I am new to this... But very interested. In 9 months I posted 5 times on the scout site. It seems like the post count or how long you've been a member is in every new thread now that the hide has moved back home. I was reading and learning on this site without joining before it moved to scout. I might be a slow learner.