• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Post your AK’s for inspiration!! Ar guy thinking about getting my first AK

BiggBeans

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
Kansas
Post pictures of your ak’s!! Really been considering buying one. Been an ar15 guy all my life. But i am very intrigued by the ak platform. Thinking about doing something with quad rails maybe and a red dot!! I need ideas and inspiration! Lol

Get an AK pistol while you still can!

3017064C-3911-4165-A676-05FA43B4CC01.jpeg

I had my nose up in the air for years against Commie AK's ...
UNTIL I got a couple of them .. Get one, and Rack a Round in like a man . I now Despise AR charging handle now .
I hear ya man. There is just somethint about the ak that gets my attention. Its the ultimate badass bad guy gun lol

I got this 74 545x39 up and rolling last year. name it my.. 'New Normal' . . I really like the AK Shorty/folder variants, with mini reflex .
Already posted this Pic. up once here a couple months ago, on discussion of size/length on shorties .

1st thing you will notice is even the shorties in the AK's , they are solid heavy old school . So if only looking for a super lightweight build, AK not the ticket .

The solid weight of the 74 (imho) is a big +plus for control because it is pretty snappy . The Bulgarian FH is not proper for the true fanclub, but it IS the most efficient, and the added extra Oz. weight really keeps the muzzle anchored .
-
..74U.jpg

-

I love me some AR's, but I recently revamped my Bulgy 74 to make it more effective in AK matches, and I gotta say I'm pretty impressed.
It will never have the tuneability or modularity of an AR but they can still be wicked fast up close.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
Post pictures of your ak’s!! Really been considering buying one. Been an ar15 guy all my life. But i am very intrigued by the ak platform. Thinking about doing something with quad rails maybe and a red dot!! I need ideas and inspiration! Lol
Buy one, then buy a second ,then buy a third and them maybe on your fourth AK purchase you can buy one made by century arms.

never met a gun I did not like or want , or though about less over time , or thought about selling after I had it for a while , ak's ar's rifle or pistol they all make a sound I crave and give me that feeling I hooked on .

Buy a US made Century Arms as a LAST resort for two reasons. First - aftermarket parts are not usually drop in and need fitting. Second - a C39 failed the AKOU go/no-go gauge test at around 4000 rounds. They might be better now but for the money there are better options.

Look at the new PSA AK-E and AK-103, KUSA AK-103 and Zastava as good options.

i wish I never sold my milled ak. Which variations are you looking at?

IMG950450.jpg

I don't have it anymore. AK74 parts kit from Hungary.

I do still have a Romanian AK47 "G" rifle that was an unfired numbers matching kit. Back when they still came with the barrel intact.

Look at Riley Defense for a US built rifle. Their quality looks to be going in the right direction.

This is my MAADI. 14.5” barrel with muzzle device pinned and welded. I’m still on the hunt for a rear sight leaf with the Arabic characters.
BDC060DA-A1FB-4F78-8E73-FE989303BE2C.jpeg
80ED3074-7C51-44D0-B52D-65F61A5BA262.jpeg
95895846-25A2-4355-9C09-C6142ED79D4D.jpeg

Video review of the pistol version of the same

Price of admission is steep “for an AK”... but, like Rife Dynamics.. are there any better than these?

Last edited:
Reactions: long range sponge
does anyone know if Riley Defense Aks are any good? what are some decent go to brands that wont cost me $2000+?

This thread has me thinking. The dark depths of the safe still has a few Mak90s & Maadis from those mid 90s gunshows. Probably a good time to cash those in. I think I paid $250 for AKs, $100 for the SKSs.😁

Last edited:
Reactions: camocorvette
My suggestion is build your own from a quality parts kit. Very rewarding when you Thump, Thump Thump it the first time!!! Then obsession occurs and you have to build more. Much more satisfying as a hobby than build an AR or even a custom bolt gun. The commie gun is addictive. Only commie the Libtards dont like. Watch for Kalashbash 2021 and go have a blast shooting vendors full auto offerings.

My suggestion is build your own from a quality parts kit. Very rewarding when you Thump, Thump Thump it the first time!!! Then obsession occurs and you have to build more. Much more satisfying as a hobby than build an AR or even a custom bolt gun. The commie gun is addictive. Only commie the Libtards dont like. Watch for Kalashbash 2021 and go have a blast shooting vendors full auto offerings.

Having one built here shortly in 5.45. Costing me around $3k with parts and labor to get it done by a either Troy or cw gunwerks.
The problem with doing it yourself is you need a press, the problem with owning a press is the amount of space it takes up.

A shop or dedicated space is nice to have but not absolutely necessary. A 12ton HF press is cheap and take up very little space. You need some jigs and other special tools which can be found online. 80% receivers are available or you can buy a flat and press your own. You can buy the tooling and it will reduce overall costs with each build or build one then sell the tooling. Lots of buyers out there. The satisfaction comes from making mistakes, cussing it and then getting it right. You did it with your own hands and it functions as an AK should! Priceless. Don't pay someone else just to make it go bang.

Reactions: Tonsofguns
If you are looking at AKs, you should also look at VZ 58s (specifically 7.62x39, the OG)

Ive had 3 VZ-58s (2 were old D-Technik imports, 1 was a czechpoint usa 7.5" pistol)

And a few different AKs, still have a Romanian WASR 10/63 UF and a Hungarian AMD-65

Ive had a Zastava M77 and a stamped straight cut reciever MAK 90.

Every VZ 58 has been excellent and I still have my original D-Technik, regrettably sold the other and the pistol to fund other projects. They use a different mag than AKs but are a milled reciever and are lighter and have more consistent barrels that shoot better in general. They are not the easiest gun to mount optics to, even when compared to AKs, any traditional scope is a no go due to them being top ejecting. Prisms still work well if you have a gun with a side rail.

AKs are a different breed altogether. So mant variations even from within same countries, mag compatibility, parts compatibility, everything is not at face value.

My general rules are
Avoid any century builds, even the "good" builds are a crapshoot (VZ 2008, Golani, RAS 47, C39, VSKA, probably missed a couple)
The century imports are usually good for a base gun.
Romanian, Hungarian, Bulgarian, Russian, and usually Chinese are all going to deliver the goods.
Polish Radom WBP is a winner, but the pioneer arms guns are not IMO but not much experience with them either
ZPAP and NPAP, essentially commercial grade yugo rifles are good if you get it new or light use. Buy it cheap, shoot the crap out if it, then dump it before it dumps you. My M77 was a great reliable shooter, up until it wasnt after a couple thousand rounds.

This is not nearly all inclusive of what to look for and avoid. there is a company in Oklahoma calles Evocatus Strategic that is making some killer custom guns. 6.5 grendal AKs are what they are specializing in but they will build up 556, 5.45, 7.62x39, 6.5 grendal, and 6.5 creedmoor galils. Pretty cool stuff they got going. For a custom build Id talk to them.

Attachments

• IMG_20210127_194205_691.jpg
    IMG_20210127_194205_691.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 73
  • 20190902_142657.jpg
    20190902_142657.jpg
    415.2 KB · Views: 112
  • 20190303_163536.jpg
    20190303_163536.jpg
    530.7 KB · Views: 122
24kalashnikov1-superJumbo.jpg

There's only one to really own ........

Винтовка моего отца

If you are looking at AKs, you should also look at VZ 58s (specifically 7.62x39, the OG)

Ive had 3 VZ-58s (2 were old D-Technik imports, 1 was a czechpoint usa 7.5" pistol)

And a few different AKs, still have a Romanian WASR 10/63 UF and a Hungarian AMD-65

Ive had a Zastava M77 and a stamped straight cut reciever MAK 90.

Every VZ 58 has been excellent and I still have my original D-Technik, regrettably sold the other and the pistol to fund other projects. They use a different mag than AKs but are a milled reciever and are lighter and have more consistent barrels that shoot better in general. They are not the easiest gun to mount optics to, even when compared to AKs, any traditional scope is a no go due to them being top ejecting. Prisms still work well if you have a gun with a side rail.

AKs are a different breed altogether. So mant variations even from within same countries, mag compatibility, parts compatibility, everything is not at face value.

My general rules are
Avoid any century builds, even the "good" builds are a crapshoot (VZ 2008, Golani, RAS 47, C39, VSKA, probably missed a couple)
The century imports are usually good for a base gun.
Romanian, Hungarian, Bulgarian, Russian, and usually Chinese are all going to deliver the goods.
Polish Radom WBP is a winner, but the pioneer arms guns are not IMO but not much experience with them either
ZPAP and NPAP, essentially commercial grade yugo rifles are good if you get it new or light use. Buy it cheap, shoot the crap out if it, then dump it before it dumps you. My M77 was a great reliable shooter, up until it wasnt after a couple thousand rounds.

This is not nearly all inclusive of what to look for and avoid. there is a company in Oklahoma calles Evocatus Strategic that is making some killer custom guns. 6.5 grendal AKs are what they are specializing in but they will build up 556, 5.45, 7.62x39, 6.5 grendal, and 6.5 creedmoor galils. Pretty cool stuff they got going. For a custom build Id talk to them.

Your m77 wasn’t reliable after a few thousand rounds? I can’t imagine that isn’t fixed with a small part change, but even that is way too early.
Many of my aks have eaten 5k plus rounds and show little wear and def not unreliable.

Your m77 wasn’t reliable after a few thousand rounds? I can’t imagine that isn’t fixed with a small part change, but even that is way too early.
Many of my aks have eaten 5k plus rounds and show little wear and def not unreliable.
I'll start with the M77 is a 308 chambered gun. I agree it should have lasted much longer than it did. I'll break down the progression of what I experienced, Ive seen another M77 in person that had the same issues that were compounded by the owner reloading for it and trying to push more performance out of it.
The vast majority of ammo through my gun was ZQI, with varying types of M80 ball and a couple boxes of american eagle 168 OTM.
Bought new in 2014, sight in, continue shooting, buy some hogue furniture and replace it. Here was what clued me in first, the barrel channel where the lower handgaurd retainer locks in was mashed up good, so barrel migh be a bit soft
buy CSSpec Mags, had to fit them to the gun, par for the course.
Eventually the gun got sluggish, it was the camming lug and and the camming groove in the carrier, they were galling and deforming to the point of impeding function, cleaned up and reprofile the edges just a bit and it ran good for another year or 2, but it happened again. I thought it was just mine until I saw this other M77 that looked like hell, locking lugs were trashed, BCG looked rough. But the receivers didnt egg out the FCG holes so we had that goin. I shot mine for the last time at Kalashnicon in May 2020 and decided it was time to retire it after that.

I will add that for the $650 that they cost in 2014, I would buy 3 more of em just to play with. If the build material quality was there, these would've been better than any super Vepr or saiga 308

I think that an ak47 is like a 1911 everyone should own at least one. This thing rocks and man does it crush spirits when I finish top 5 overall at action rifle matches when I’m rocking an iron sight ak and most everyone is running there custom ar with optics!
6685C535-68FE-48EB-A7AB-67A106E02CBB.jpeg

If nothing else just for an AK Made in Wauconda.View attachment 7556672
Never knew they were in Wauconda. They’re only 30 minutes from me. Maybe when things calm down (and I can purchase 7.62x39 for non-panic prices) I need to pick up an AK to support a quality business...

I bought a Pammetto ak back when they were $500 and it seemed to be a solid unit. Rob Ski has a lot of good things to say about them too. Since they came out they've improved some issues they had and have gained a high demand which in turn has pushed the prices up. Id imagine you can buy one off gun broker for around 1k. Every couple months I try buy back my old PSA offering the guy 300 more than I sold it for and he just laughs 😂

I disagree completely. The AK is the one gun that I wish that I had never gotten into building.
All the tools, jigs, the press, still having to farm out a bunch of the work to someone else unless you have a milling machine.
I could have had a couple really sweet factory guns for less than I spent getting into building.
I have one more kit, a 1966 Polish. Once that one is done, I’m selling all my tools and spares and never looking back.

If one were interested in building from a parts kit, 10 or so years ago was the time. The good stuff dried up a long time ago.

Reactions: Simonsza1