• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Post your elk pics

RidgeRebel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2009
Hurricane, UT
Post your elk pics if you got em.
25gcebt.jpg

T/C Encore 50 cal MZ

Re: Post your elk pics

Here is one - a "trophy spike" from my home state of Oregon. For some reason I never seem to remember to take any pictures when I elk hunt, its usually nasty and I'm just not good at remembering. This was few years ago - red plaid and all.

img006.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowe Left</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
2713_Spencergl.JPG
</div></div>

Hahahaha....

You're into chasing slickheads huh?

some clients, I did some "minor" guiding for.

cowelk.jpg

theknifeguys.jpg

DSC00334.jpg

martyselk-1.jpg

here's a couple that were easy going, just quartered em out and packed em about 400-800yds

Troyselk.jpg

DSC00064.jpg

almost forgot about this one, my 87lb alphamax pushed my MX4 with enough force to do a complete pass through and bury into the hill on the other side... not only am I passionate about the outdoors, I do my part culling the bad genetics, I'm still kicking myself for passing up a 300"er just to take out the bad genes this guy was throwin... hoping karma will treat me good next go round... Glad I'm squating over 600, sure made this one easy out
wink.gif

JamesarcheryElk.jpg

then there is always the sucky pics, we had found this guy about 2 miles from our house, really wish I could of passed by him a day earlier and I could of cut him free... poor guy.

DSC06070.jpg

DSC06069.jpg

Here is an elk pic I love...my dad holding the real prize to elk hunting...BACKSTRAP!!

DSCF0322.jpg

Two years later..both dad and I got our elk, his first on his 3 rd year hunting.....not enough room in the sequoia, so we had to strap them on top heading back to Texas...Every place we stopped people came out to look and dad got to tell the story over so many times I lost count. Good times for sure!

DSC00139.jpg

great pics guys. Pistolero, that's why NM is the land of enchantment. Hopefuly I draw a tag there someday. Forgive my ignorance Lowe, who's the guy in the pic?

[img:left]http://[/img] apparently im too stupid to figure out how to post...

Hey Elksniper hope you draw that tag too! Here's some dead ones.

BIG340.jpg

DSC02718vgf.jpg

022-2.jpg

This is the bull from the top grainy pic.
276.jpg

Those are some awsome bulls Pistolero. Are those from general units or more limited areas? Either way I'm jealous. It took 10 years to draw the tag for the bull I posted here in UT. I put in for a WY general tag this year but did't draw. NM draw is still open, maybe I'll be lucky there. I will still be hunting elk here but all of the areas I hunt in UT are spike only unless you draw.

My 1st spike from Washington St. (Spike only unit)
My 6 X 7 from '05 was all on film before I had a digital camera.
[img:left]
2011-11-05092754.jpg
[/img]
Here's the finished mount tho.
[img:left]
2005Bull003.jpg
[/img]

Thanks! We really don't have general areas in NM. Everything is Limited Entry or private land tags. Those are public land bulls. NM is still sticking it to DIY non-residents but somebody has to draw them tags! Could be you!

Nmpistolero is right...there are some monster bulls on state land...I put in every year cause I am a DIY 'ER but end up buying a land owner tag.. Now it's even worse for guys like me to draw a tag.

No matter, will send in app again....deadline is march 28' nothing to lose if ya don't draw.

Lots of nice bulls on here. I havent gotten a chance at a bull (in season) yet. Im not proud though.

Heres my first elk, down hill 163 yard shot with my Remington 700 30-06 and 165gr accubond. The shot looks pretty terrible but she was angled enough that the bullet went clear through the chest cav and stuck in the far shoulder. Took me 2 days to pack her out but well worth it.
IMG_0605.jpg

My second elk was a calf....yes I shot it on purpose. My buddy had just shot the cow and this little one didnt want to leave. There were no other elk in the area, so I layed down with my 338 win mag and took a 459 yard shot. The 225gr interbond blew its heart up and she was on the ground about 2 seconds after I sent the round.
elk-3.jpg

Hopefully this year I draw a good bull tag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hntelk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nmpistolero is right...there are some monster bulls on state land...I put in every year cause I am a DIY 'ER but end up buying a land owner tag.. Now it's even worse for guys like me to draw a tag.
</div></div>

You guys can actually purchase a LO tag from a LO, or you are purchasing one for yourself because you have enough elk use days for a landowner tag???

Yes here in NM you can buy Landowner tags directly from the ranchers. There are two variations, Ranch only and unit wide. Ranch only tags are restricted to the deeded land of that ranch and can't be used on public lands. Unit wide tags are good for all the open ares in a unit(forest service, BLM etc.) and opens up that particular ranch's deeded to all hunters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NMpistolero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes here in NM you can buy Landowner tags directly from the ranchers. There are two variations, Ranch only and unit wide. Ranch only tags are restricted to the deeded land of that ranch and can't be used on public lands. Unit wide tags are good for all the open ares in a unit(forest service, BLM etc.) and opens up that particular ranch's deeded to all hunters. </div></div>

thats just flat out awesome, how much does the landowners prices vary, do they have tag specific, cow, any elk, trophy bull etc???

Yep, tag specific....land owner can give them to ya if he likes you....lol or can charge sky high amounts....just depends on the land owner and what he has going on.

For big ranches that hold nice elk numbers with cover, water, etc... You gonna pay more of course. I have seen some guys that know nothing about how things go and end up buying land owner tags to a big open pasture. Maybe an elk went by that property...sometime? Who knows. Just be careful if you decide to dive in...some shysters out there.

dK17... Nice elk...I prefer to eat cow elk vs an old bull and definitely prefer that calf you shot...I bet that young'en was tasty...

I got my brother a cow tag this year so we are going to get us some of that tender meat this year...but I am just gonna stay after this old guy I have been trying to get for last couple of years. He will prob die of old age before I kill'em.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hntelk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep, tag specific....land owner can give them to ya if he likes you....lol or can charge sky high amounts....just depends on the land owner and what he has going on.

For big ranches that hold nice elk numbers with cover, water, etc... You gonna pay more of course. I have seen some guys that know nothing about how things go and end up buying land owner tags to a big open pasture. Maybe an elk went by that property...sometime? Who knows. Just be careful if you decide to dive in...some shysters out there. </div></div>

Thanks, I'm a landowner here in SD, and I wish the SDGFP would allow us to do this.

Coldbore,
What unit do usually hunt? The bull at the top was taken on the Wasatch near Soldier Creek. Probably headed back this year for the rifle hunt, but this time just a spike tag
frown.gif

Nothin better than chasing elk!
Keep the pics comming, I'll get some more on here soon.

NM draw deadline was today so in the spirit of elk hunting anticipation here are so more pics!!!
011.jpg

021.jpg

018.jpg

009.jpg

Here's to chasin big bulls!!!!

Last years cow...TC Renegade with 295 powerbelts over 90 gr RS . 15 yds
DSCF6445.jpg

Big cow of 2009 623#'s 870 express with 3" Federal Foster slugs . 12 yds
elk3.jpg

elk2.jpg

Here's a 350 inch South Dakota bull killed by hide member blackrifleops a few years ago. We got into a big herd with about 5 bulls and this rutted up old boy came in to about 80 yards. Hunt lasted about 4 hrs. A couple of his fronts went over 20 inches.

RosebudBull2008010.jpg

Here's a Nebraska bull one of my good friends shot last year. This bull officially scored 360+ gross 355 net. We actually passed this guy on the second day hoping to find 2 other bigger bulls that were in the area the year before, when that didn't happen this one took the bullet.

IMG_0368.jpg