• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Post your rimfire bolt knob pics

shaman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2008
Frankfort, Kentucky
A mk2 is on it's way to the FFL, just a lowly FV, and was looking around for bolt knobs/handles. Gun will get a EVO or Tacticool, and want to get something more formiddable attached.

Re: Post your rimfire bolt knob pics

Give Bolt Knobs by Bill a try. He did the one on my Mark II Savage, and two knobs on Rem 700's for me. Very good work and very reasonable. I had my local smith screw them on. Sorry, no pics to post.

http://boltknobsbybill.com/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shaman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A mk2 is on it's way to the FFL, just a lowly FV, and was looking around for bolt knobs/handles. Gun will get a EVO or Tacticool, and want to get something more formiddable attached. </div></div>
I don't know if I'd describe a bolt knob as <span style="font-style: italic">"formidable"</span>, but if you want to <span style="font-style: italic">"do it right"</span> I highly recommend that you contact <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"monteboy84"</span></span> here on the Hide or over at Sniper Central to see if he'll install a Tac Ops Bolt Knob Conversion on your Mark II. The Mark II has a rather skinny bolt handle shank so the install is a bit different than on a Remington 700, which has a larger, squarish bolt handle.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Also, the TOBKC IS NOT a DIY install - it requires <span style="font-style: italic">competent</span> TIG welding, surface grinding, and finish work for the best results.</span> I mention this because I've seen a lot of hack-jobs where people didn't properly install the TOBKC by welding-on the hardened, threaded insert and then finish grinding everything smooth. <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">If desired</span></span> the bolt handle can be lengthened by about 1/4" over the stock length. <span style="font-style: italic">If a stock length bolt handle is desired, the bolt handle needs to be shortened (about 1/4") before the hardened, threaded insert is welded-on. This will provide a shorter OAL bolt handle like with the installation of most other BKCs'.</span>

On the Remington and other "square" bolt handles, not only can you lengthen the bolt handle with a <span style="font-style: italic">properly-installed TOBKC</span>, but a properly-installed TOBKC also provides a smooth transition from the bolt handle shank to the bolt knob. Most other bolt knob installs give you a crappy-looking, abrupt change from a square shank to a round bolt knob.

Below are some photos of a TOBKC on a Tac Ops Green Hornet (base rifle Ruger 77/22), as well as a TOBKC on a RH Tac Ops X-Ray 51 (base rifle Remington 700) compared to a competitor's BKC on the competitor's LH rifle (base rifle Remington 700). Notice the differences in the length of the bolt handles and the shape of the bolt handle transitions from shank to threaded area.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Tac Ops Bolt Knob Conversion on Tac Ops Green Hornet. Metalwork finished in [Birdsong] "Naval Special Warfare" Green-T:</span></span>
GreenHornetActionCU8x6.jpg

GreenHornetSafetyCU18x6.jpg

GreenHornetBoltHandlewTOKnob8x6.jpg

GreenHornetBoltCU28x6.jpg

GreenHornetBoltHandleCU18x6.jpg

GreenHornetFloorplatewMag8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">TOBKC on Tac Ops X-Ray 51 bolt handle. Note the perfectly smooth transition from the handle to where the round Knob threads-on:</span>
TacOpsBoltKnobFlushFit8x6.jpg

TacOpsBoltHandle8x6-1.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Competitor's BKC on Competitor's bolt handle. Note the abrupt change from square handle to where the round Knob threads-on:</span>
CompetitorsBoltHandle18x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Competitor's LH Bolt (on Left) compared to Tac Ops RH Bolt (on Right). Notice the slightly longer handle on the Tac Ops Bolt:</span>
TacOpsCompetitorsBolts8x6.jpg

I highly recommend that you contact <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"monteboy84"</span></span> here on the Hide or over at Sniper Central to see if he'll do the install on your Mark II, <span style="font-weight: bold">because is NOT a DYI install.</span> Matt does great work, installing the TOBKC THE RIGHT WAY, by TIG-welding it on and then grinding and blending the welds between the bolt handle and the TIG-welded insert perfectly smooth before finishing. Check-out <span style="font-style: italic">monteboy84</span>'s <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Some bolt knob install pictures"</span></span> thread. In that thread <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">monteboy84</span></span> shows bolts in various stages of the Tac Ops Bolt Knob Conversion.

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shaman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are people threading then welding, or just threading? </div></div>

If you start looking around you'll find several methods. Some weld or solder a threaded stud in place after chopping off the handle and drilling it out and then screw the knob in place. Mark at Short action Customs has posted pics of drilling and tapping a hole and then installing a threaded stud to screw the knob on to. I think threading the existing handle is probably most common. The knobs can be glued on with epoxy or loctited in place as most are made from aluminum and can't be welded to steel.

You can install one yourself easily enough. Just grind the existing knob down on a grinder or belt sander to a round shank of whatever size you need and hand thread it with a die. Then screw on a knob of your choice.

I only welded. I have used the Tac ops kit but it did not hold and ended up welding that as well. Sorry no pic on that one.