• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Post your SMK/Match bullet kills

coldboremiracle

Freelance Sharpshooter
Minuteman
  • Jul 7, 2009
    Utah, north
    www.coldboremiracle.com
    It seems we have a thread for every other kind if bullet, and maybe if we start another one for SMK's as well as other match bullets, we wont have to discuss the subject on a weekly basis for those wanting to know. I figure if everyone puts up their pics and let inquiring mind's decide for themselves.

<span style="color: #FF0000">LET'S NOT ALLOW THIS TO TURN INTO ANOTHER DISCUSSION ABOUT HUNTING WITH THEM, JUST POST YOUR KILLS!</span>

You'll all have to forgive me as mine are almost all repost's
    blush.gif

<span style="color: #33CC00"><span style="font-weight: bold">Also, include all the "good" pics you have of the wound channel,holes, ect. so we can see what has been done.</span></span>

I use em for everything, rockchucks:

camping8-8-09014.jpg

rustycanyon004.jpg

ar15026.jpg

Here he is sunny side up:

ar15024.jpg

Deer:
    DSCF4653.jpg

DSCF4671.jpg

Elk:

elkunt09014.jpg

More deer, This one is huge!!

DSCF5473.jpg

DSCF5480.jpg

DSCF5475.jpg

Last edited:
    Re: Post your SMK kills

Both 168 grain SMK out of a 18.5 OBR. The one with the stomach hanging out was shot behind the shoulder on the other side quartering towards me and it had a exit wound the size of two fists. It ran maybe 30 yards. The other was DRT.

Hunting2010008.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #000099"><span style="font-size: 20pt">BELIEVE THE BULLET!!</span></span> </div></div>

But the internet says that match grade bullets will just pass through an animal like a ghost through a wall....

.308 with a 175SMK @ 340yds. Ran about 65yds spewing blood and dropped dead as a hammer in the middle of the beanfield. Small exit but liquified the heart/lungs.

2myxbp0.jpg

How many yards before they drop? Thanks to the OP, it's good to know what SMK will do
    smile.gif

I was pleasantly surprised at the damage the 142 SMK did on the yote. Let's just put it this way, I hit him a little far back and he had his guts in his mouth when I got up to him. It would appear that he had just enough time to grab his innards that were pouring out his right side. DRT

i-9vrgSKZ-L.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How many yards before they drop? Thanks to the OP, it's good to know what SMK will do
    smile.gif
    </div></div>

The rock chucks were all DRFT as you can imagine,

The 3X4 mulie rolled downhill about 70yds, very steep. He was dead before he hit the ground though.

The spike bull elk stumbled about 20yds downhill, then I hit him again, notice the blood in the ears? Here is the result:

DSCF5088.jpg

That huge 2pt, didn't take a step, he just kicked in the snow for a couple seconds

Lucifer, as he has become known, dropped in his tracks, only feet poking out of the tall grass.

The doe antelope shot at 850 ran for an amazing 150-200 yds, I watched the blood just pour down her side as she ran, she slowed down and tipped over. I have the whole thing on film, but not digital
    frown.gif

The cow elk made it about 40-50yds into the trees before she went down.

The doe antelope chubbles shot was DRFT, as was the antelope I shot.

and the last deer stumbled a few feet and went down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayman_10X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that an ABS wrap barrel on your first picture? Just curious.
    </div></div>

If it was me you were asking, No. Its just a Savage 10fcp.

Bigger one was shot with a 168 SMK...father got the other two with his .260 accubonds (not sure of size).

FamilyPIC_112011.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bighouse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">168 grain SMK @ 567 yards. He ran about 20 yards and dropped dead.
    IMAG0559.jpg
    </div></div>

Plz tell me his guts fell out at the top right of the pic then he fell where he's at in that picture? He's a good looking Utah mulley I like them tall more than I like them wide.

I don't have any pics to contribute but I have downed a few critters with 30 call SMKs (175 and 180) and 223 SMKs (77g if I'm not mistaken, my varmint load book is in the basement under the pile o shit being used to finish it up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    <span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">And no....he don't give a shit. Not anymore</span></span>...</div></div>

That was pretty good !

DSC02417number2.jpg

ya its not my favorite bullet for prarie dogs n such but it killes the heck outta big game like this beast.

Hope I'm not to off base here, but has anyone tried the Lapua Senar bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Hope I'm not to off base here, but has anyone tried the Lapua Senar bullets. </div></div>

mad.gif
    mad.gif
    mad.gif
    mad.gif
    Damn you and your off topic questions!!!!!

Just kidding, yes there are many who do, and there are other threads discussing them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arif</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Hope I'm not to off base here, but has anyone tried the Lapua Senar bullets. </div></div>

here you go
    http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2997077#Post2997077</div></div> I see why I couldn't find it in the search, I misspelled Scenar. Anyway thanks for the help Arif and sorry coldboremiracle didn't mean to mess with your post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I see why I couldn't find it in the search, I misspelled Scenar. Anyway thanks for the help Arif and sorry coldboremiracle didn't mean to mess with your post. </div></div>

laugh.gif
    , its fine.

Wow,I have been looking for a factory round to hunt. But I just realize that I had already found it.

Re-post ... i see all these big animals... dont leave out the little guy's

175 SMK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWP6114</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adamrubin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Within the United States, where is the BEST place to shoot LOTS of dogs? </div></div>

where ever you are, the best place to shoot them is... IN THE HEAD... from 659 yds.
    grin.gif
    trucks ontop of hill behind fence... this was in South Dakota 2nd week in may 2011

54c65d73.jpg
    </div></div>

ive been meaning to post this I will also be putting it in the SMK Kills thread.

2 weekends ago I was hunting a 120 acre wheat field with a slight drizzle that was being pushed in by a large storm to follow. I figured critters might come out to get some winter wheat during the day instead of there normal night time routine with that storm coming.

4 mature hogs came out with a group of piglets and some younger hogs

I waited for the two big sows that did not have the piglets to line up at 185 yards. Fired my second to last silver state armory 168Gr SMK and that was the last of those 2. (see pictures one and two.) then realizing I still had one bullet left i targeted out the big one that had exited the field by this point and was running from my right to left (270 yards) picked my spot felt good on a hold and let it fire.

this one was a 219 pounder and it went ass over head! very exciting.

first 2 were 140 and 170lbs

1330641023.jpg

1330641188.jpg

1330641635.jpg

These were killed with my 308 and 168gr federal gold medals.
    This first dog was shot at about 30 yards, still walking without a care in the world. The bullet entered and exploded, shrapnel exited the other side.
    WP_000207.jpg

This was two in one stand, one at about 20 yards, one at about 15 feet. Both directly down wind.
    WP_000177.jpg

.308 Win
    175 SMK at 2700 fps
    150 yards
    Result of shot: Dialed up .5 MOA, squeezed off shot. Heard the smack of bullet right behind front shoulder. he took off like a rabbit for 40 yds, then bottom up. Very impressed with the 175 SMK terminal ballistics. Exit wound was a 5" hole. Amazing. Lungs mush. Bled out nicely.

I bought some 168 Barnes Triple Shock bullets, but after doing research, I went with my match loads. Very glad I did. Expansion was impresive.

nwirdv.jpg

The big pile of blood behind me is where he bled out...right smack in the middle of a cactus patch! ha...

1i1o60.jpg

168gr SMK..
    PA160764.jpg

175gr SMK...
    175grSMK100ydsBen.jpg

220gr SMK...
    Amber2005Stacys220grSMK4.jpg

220gr SMK...
    Ambers8ptexit302yds220grMKTommy.jpg

220gr SMK...
    Bensexit290yds220grSMK.jpg

220gr SMK...
    img009.jpg

220gr SMK...
    HoleinOne.jpg

Two 220gr SMK's..
    img006.jpg

220gr SMK...

img007.jpg

190gr SMk...
    2002doeexit35yds190grSMK300WinMag.jpg

190gr...
    AmbersFirstdeer2002300winexit.jpg

190gr...
    Charles2002doe110yds190grSMK2.jpg

190gr...
    doe2003190grSMK300WinMag.jpg

115gr DTAC which is really an SMK..
    PC300510-1.jpg

SMK's work and I've killed a few semi trailers worth with them, however I prefer Amax's. They're softer and more consistent in upsetting...