• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Posting in the for sale section for relatives.

Randoman5

Minuteman
Jul 29, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
My cousin is trying to sell his Armalite AR50 locally and hasn't been having much luck. I imagine there'd be some demand for something like that here on the forum, and I was wondering if would violate forum rules for me to post the rifle for sale on his behalf. I haven't seen this issue addressed anywhere else and I have seen others posting for friends and relatives here. However, I know the moderators here can be strict in applying the rules and I'd hate to run afoul of them.

Am I permitted to post my cousin's rifle for sale?

Recommended Guidelines for the For Sale Area

#1 - No selling for friends, cousins, dad's, buddies, etc etc. There's a reason why there is a 100 post rule and if you're going to help them skirt the rules then why have them at all. Now we're no dummies and we know that you can get around this rule by listing the item and not mentioning that it's for the neighbor, you're very sneaky. However, if there is ANY issue with the sale and someone complains then be warned that "It's not my fault, my buddy said it was like new" will get you no help. The transaction start to finish will be owned by you and the lifetime ban that comes from bad sales deals will also be yours. I highly suggest that you simply deal in your own business and no one else's.

Copied from the rules in the firearms for sale section. I see it says "Recommended Guidelines" there, but I think I have seen mods enforce it as more than a recommendation. Have your cousin join the site and pay the $20 or so for a new member to be able to sell - everything is on the up and up and your cousin gets to become a member on one of the best sites on the interweb. Win-win.