• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

potential firearms theft recovery device

MLC

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 4, 2004
Solebury, PA
I have been saturated with ads for the Tile wifi tracking device via Facebook.
Admittedly it's clever but I realized that it could be used as an excellent passive theft recovery device for long guns.
Installed under the buttpad or in a mortise in the stock it would go unnoticed but would allow the user to locate their rifle if it went missing.
Wifi is prevalent in my area and very common in businesses.

Has anyone used this type of device for theft recovery?

No, but I did look into putting GPS trackers in items that I know would be stolen, giving me a higher probability of recovery. Whatever you get, they have to be hidden well. You can advertise you have 'em too as a deterrent provided you do in fact have enough to make it stupid to even try.

I'm gonna look into these, they're a lot smaller and I bet cheaper than the GPS units I was looking at. Thanks for bringing this up!

If you hide 'em well in everything, nobody in their right mind is going to want to even try and risk it.