• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wireman

Private
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2005
Home
32 years ago I met a couple old growth timber cutters in North Bend WA. I was 29 and thought I was in pretty good shape, so I ended up falling timber with them for 5 seasons until I realized it might not be the job for me. As you can imagine, there are a few hunting and logging stories that involve the 3 of us. We stayed friends all this time even though there were times when we would'nt see each other for a couple of years. Kermit stayed in the woods, Steve went into sales and I became an electrician.

We used to be able to sneak into the Cedar River watershed in the morning and haul out an elk by that afternoon. So here we are, chemo-therapy, high blood pressure, VA disability, and a few other life events under our belt, we are heading to Craig, Ak at the end of the month for Black bear and Steelhead.

I don't know if there is a moral to this story, but I do know, the older I get, the more my family and friends mean to me. I doubt if the fish and the bears will tremble upon our arrival.
wink.gif

Re: POW soon

POW is one of my favorite spots in Alaska. Have been there every year for the past 10. Are you doing the Black Bear on your own? Be sure and check the regs if you do as they have been changing them quite a bit the past couple years. The Kings ought to be running offshore of Craig that time of the year. The Thorne River has some Steelhead and I think 12 mile arm does as well. I like to truck camp as that island is huge and I hate wasting the day driving. Good plan to get back with some old buddies in such a place. Have fun!

Doing the self guided hunt. Cabin at Coffman Cove. We have a 17' boat and a 4 wheel drive truck. I'm pretty excited about sea run cuthroat and steelhead. Had been PM'ing "NOBODY" about buying him dinner and picking his brain when we get there, but I see he's been banned again. Any advice anyone has will be appreciated.

The best time to hunt bears will be on a falling or low tide as they will come down and flip over rocks to eat eels, crabs, and stuff. They also eat the grass on the beach above the tide line. If you can find where a bunch of herring roe eggs were deposited, you will find bears. Once you find a good one, get the boat downwind, have someone drop you off, get up inside the tree line and either wait for it to come to you or slow hunt towards it. Just make for sure you read, understand, and follow the regs as there are a bunch of Troopers on island for the spring hunt. Do everything by the book and you will be fine. There is not a bunch of easily accessible coastline out of Coffman Cove unless the ocean is calm. You could also try Exchange Cove, El Capitan, Whale Pass, WInter Harbor, Twelve Mile Arm, etc. Be very careful navigating up there as there are some eye opening reefs and the tides are super fast. I'm so jealous. You guys are going to have a blast. One of these days, I'm going to buy / build a cabin up there....

Thanks for the info. Guess I will take a pistol. I'm sending up a bunch of stuff in footlockers, so we'll have spotting scopes and such, hoping to glass some clearcuts up a little higher as well. Not much of a sailor, so will be careful there. We're old, but still get around pretty well. Wife and I spent a day up the Lochsa looking for bear and listening to wolves. She hiked my fat ass off. We have good bear hunting in Idaho and Washington so hopefully I won't misjudge a dink and waste an opportunity. Horny for fishing for sure.