• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

powder burn

CarbonMTN

224 Overbore
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
NV
did a google and form search, nothing came up. Also I could be useless at searching things.

I'm trying to figure out if I am burning all my powder or if I can go longer barrel to burn more powder and get more speed.

Is there a way to tell?

Barrel? Twist? Length? Caliber? Powder? Give us some details and perhaps we can give you more information :)

Barrel? Twist? Length? Caliber? Powder? Give us some details and perhaps we can give you more information :)

Tikka, 24" 1-8RH 223 shooting factory 77GR SMK Norma. no clue what powder they use.

Eh, the limited case capacity of a 223 won't gain much past 24". With the lighter bullets and quicker powder they fall off around 20".

There are many overbore and magnums that you can get quite a lot at 28"+, but a .223 isn't one of them.

dont know if this will help you, but here goes nothing (y)

Took my 75gr .223 example that I have in QL and set the barrel length to 70". You are 95% power burnt by 16.8" and does not hit 100% until 64". Will you gain speed over the 24"? Sure...but it becomes diminishing returns...

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
That must be why Palma shooters using 223 Remington rifles have 30" barrels..........and getting close to 2900 fps with 80 - 85 grain bullets.

Just because you load them hotter than the flames in hell, doesn't make it a good idea.

The law of diminishing returns hits a 223 hard at 20"+.

Only one person pointed you in the right direction and that is Quick Load. It requires a complex formula. You will need to post certain variables and we can print a chart. I have to work today but anybody with QL and a little spare time can help a brother out once with a QL question. Just send the chart via PM so QL doesn't send LL a complaint.

Also, please tell us you don't need this info because you think you don't want to waste 2% of powder. BTW, you're going to get more speed with a longer barrel regardless of powder % burned. Now that I think about it the powder burn is irrelevant. Nevertheless, QL is still the easiest way to estimate velocity and powder burn. Example, 24" vs 26". Like what is the most common longest barrel length? It certainly isn't 64".

Last edited by a moderator:
Heavy Palma
Brux
Wylde chamber
Lots to like.

If I am just going to shoot and reload 223. wouldn't a 223 Rem chamber be more accurate?

From my understanding 223 Wylde just allows the benefit to be able to use the NATO round.

If I am just going to shoot and reload 223. wouldn't a 223 Rem chamber be more accurate?

From my understanding 223 Wylde just allows the benefit to be able to use the NATO round.
Wylde has the tighter throat and clean entry angle of 223 but better fits bigger bullet and longer OAL.
And I’ve yet to see a quality barrel with a wylde chamber that doesn’t hammer with 69smk’s.

Just because you load them hotter than the flames in hell, doesn't make it a good idea.

The law of diminishing returns hits a 223 hard at 20"+.
You know what, I'll take the real world experience of shooters I know over your theory.

What you and all the other idiots fixated on the length it takes for all powder to burn fail to understand is that the expanding gasses in the barrel continue to do work (work as defined in physics, force x distance....) on the bullet long after the burn is complete. That means the bullet continues to accelerate for quite some length past the point of complete burn.

Looking at the QL graph the slope of the velocity curve (AKA the rate of change of velocity over length) is nearly constant from 20 to 30 inches of barrel length. That correlates to an almost linear acceleration over those ten inches. I know, math is fucking hard...….

And another thing, you don't know fuck all about what kind of load Palma shooters use in 223s.

I swear to fucking god I feel my IQ drain almost every time I engage in technical discussions in gun forums.

Next thing some of you will tell me is that "nitride is a coating"

Last edited:
Reactions: Tokay444
You know what, I'll take the real world experience of shooters I know over your theory.
It’s not hard to find barrel length tests that show gains continuing at 26” and you can be damn sure Palma and F class shooters are getting a benefit from the even slightly past 30” barrels they use or you just wouldn’t see them all there.

That 20” Limit is old lore

Fun story. I built a 30" .300 PRC and was getting 2940fps or so with 225's. It was close to 20-25fps per inch faster than 24's and 26's. After that barrel stopped grouping how I'd like, I spun up a 37" barrel and got less than 15fps per inch from the 30". BUT, I am able to run 250's up to 2925-2950fps now.

Reactions: Tokay444
The trunk and back seat of my WRX.

ETA: it might fit in a regular pelican if I pulled the action from the stock.

you lost me, is this good or bad and please explain.
The normal 223s have a freebore of ~.040” I think, the Wylde extends that to .062 usually and it’s also a thou looser through the brass. 5.56 is a bit looser and longer still but the cartridge minimums are the same. Just more space for debris in a NATO chamber. It in no way hampers accuracy. The match chambers usually go from .090-.180 or so in freebore depending on which 85+gr bullet you are choosing to go for.