• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder charge help / upgrade

TommyD11730

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2020
Hey guys I need a little help in the powder dispensing department. Currently I drop with a Charge master lite. (SDs in the very low teens)
I was thinking of purchasing a A&D EJ-54D2 and using it in conjunction with my charge master (trickling up on it). This is the cheaper of 2 options.
Or I could purchase a Matchmaster. I would sell off my lite version to help offset the cost.
So just wondering between the 2 choices what route you would suggest.
Thanks!!

Reactions: simonp
I went from a lite to an Auto Trickler I honestly don't think it had any impact on my precision. I wanted it regardless but it doesn't really seem to have affected my ES/SD that being said I had low teens ES. SD was already in single digits.

The AT V4 is definitely faster than my lite and I have peace of mind with the accuracy of weight.

If I was doing it again I would definitely consider the super trickler

Last edited:
Reactions: TommyD11730
The Auto Trickler and the Supertrickler are the latest state of the art before you jump to the Prometheus. These both use the FX-120I scale.

If you don't mind spending a little more on the Autotrickler, the Ingenuity Precision trickle unit is a very good upgrade that adds speed and reduces over throws.

The Hornady unit and the RCBS Chargemasters are about the same cost and performance. Lately there has been some evidence that the Hornady unit is just a touch better.

If you just go with just the scale, you may find the advice to just get a FX-120I is worth the extra since it can become the foundation of the next level if you choose to upgrade, and is only slightly more than the EJ.

Going from the scale you have to another to gain the .02 resolution isn't going to make your SDs drop from the low teens to single digits. I would revisit your loading procedure and components before you spend 1200+ on a auto trickler setup. I load on 2 Chargemasters at the same time and I can get my loads well within about 5SD most of the time. Some loads are closer to 2-3SD. ES around 9-11FPS on Chargemasters.

Going from the scale you have to another to gain the .02 resolution isn't going to make your SDs drop from the low teens to single digits. I would revisit your loading procedure and components before you spend 1200+ on a auto trickler setup. I load on 2 Chargemasters at the same time and I can get my loads well within about 5SD most of the time. Some loads are closer to 2-3SD. ES around 9-11FPS on Chargemasters.
You could be very well right. I'm also loading 223. From what I'm to understand single digits on some calibers are as rare as Goldilocks. 223 being one of them.
I should be clear however. I'm asking about a scale or a dropper that aren't $1200, rather 3-500 for the scale and if you factor recovering a couple hundred for my current dropper around 5ish for the Matchmaster.

You could be very well right. I'm also loading 223. From what I'm to understand single digits on some calibers are as rare as Goldilocks. 223 being one of them.
I should be clear however. I'm asking about a scale or a dropper that aren't $1200, rather 3-500 for the scale and if you factor recovering a couple hundred for my current dropper around 5ish for the Matchmaster.
IMO if you don't wanna spend the money on one of the top dogs it's just a waste and I'd skip it all together. Really I don't see you gaining anything so it would be purely a want.

I run 3 MK12s and SD on my load is 7-7.5 on the same load 3 different rifles, 3 different barrels. 223/556 isn't that hard to load for. Plenty of good loads have been found. Just have to use the right components and good loading procedure. I don't weigh my 77gr 223 loads. All thrown on a Redding BR3. Only time I weigh is to check the thrower consistency.

Reactions: camocorvette
I like a thrower and a confirmed. Thrower like a charge master lite and a trusted scale run fast enough for me.

I like a thrower and a confirmed. Thrower like a charge master lite and a trusted scale run fast enough for me.
The price of a CM Link and A&D EJ-54D2 is getting into the range of save a couple extra bucks and get a V4 and 120i.

I will admit I prioritize speed and precision, cost is a bit lower down the totem pole for me

Fx120i is pretty accurate but wont give you single digit SD without top of the line components and good process.

So briefing the net it looks like the FX-120i is like the (or was) small block chevy of the reloading world. There are a boat load of 3D STL files for you name it. Having a 3D printer that works for me. Heck I "could" print the adapters to run one of my old Lee Powder measures.. drop close and trickle up by hand. That eliminates my Chargemaster lite and well... that could be sold off to recoup some of the cash spent on the scale.

So briefing the net it looks like the FX-120i is like the (or was) small block chevy of the reloading world. There are a boat load of 3D STL files for you name it. Having a 3D printer that works for me. Heck I "could" print the adapters to run one of my old Lee Powder measures.. drop close and trickle up by hand. That eliminates my Chargemaster lite and well... that could be sold off to recoup some of the cash spent on the scale.
Never heard it out like that but makes sense. It’s very popular. If you wanted to upgrade to an auto trickler or super trickler down the line, it’s just plug and play. If you decide you want out of reloading, you’ll be able to flip the scale for close to what you have in it. Keep the original box w/packaging.

I use the CM Lite with insert and the same scale. I get single digit Sd's & Es's with proper case prep.. It takes a few seconds
longer but I'm good with that. I find that after I added the insert in the CM that with H4350 I may have to add or subtract 1-2 grains
of powder every 6-7 loads. I would love to have a FX-120i, maybe someday, but to bang steel out to 1350 yds it works for me.

+1 on the insert. I printed a breeze shield for mine as well.

Heck I "could" print the adapters to run one of my old Lee Powder measures.. drop close and trickle up by hand. That eliminates my Chargemaster lite and well... that could be sold off to recoup some of the cash spent on the scale.
This makes the most sense. Even just throw on the side and then trickle up. You'll be able to get some money for the CM and if you want to get a thrower unit later it fits the scale.
I find that after I added the insert in the CM that with H4350 I may have to add or subtract 1-2 grains
of powder every 6-7 loads.
What insert? do you mean 1 or 2 kernels or actual grains? because that is a big difference.
+1 on the insert. I printed a breeze shield for mine as well.
did yours not come with a breeze shield? it's supposed to.

This makes the most sense. Even just throw on the side and then trickle up. You'll be able to get some money for the CM and if you want to get a thrower unit later it fits the...

I never cared for the factory on/off lite shield vs the one on the 1500. So I printed one that surrounds the load cell to keep breezes away.

Attachments

• 20221122_161633.jpg
    20221122_161633.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: Taylorbok
Question... does CE Products ever do Black Friday / Thanksgiving sales? Should I wait a few days or just order now?

I have the MatchMaster and though I won't rule out stepping up to a Super Trickler at some point (the new hotness, at 3x the cost of course) I have to say that I'm really happy with it.

Mine throws Varget (extruded stick) and/or Sta-Ball (ball powder) to +/- 0.02gn in ~10-13 seconds per drop. I just had a conversation with one of the engineers at RCBS yesterday to sort out an issue I was having (which ended up being my fault) and feel even better about having bought one. Fantastic customer support is worth a lot in my book.

The MatchMaster is far more in the vein of a ChargeMaster than some of the others in that it's more of a simple "plug n' play/ all in one" operation... just a lot more precise, but not much drama (which can be the case with the Auto Tricklers sometimes).

I belong to a club with 1250 yards available, and based on my experience, I can say unequivocally, without a doubt, that throwing your charges "to the kernel" (0.02gn) beats throwing charges to within 0.1gn by a metric shit ton. I regularly get single-digit SD's and while having super consistent powder charges isn't the only reason (or maybe even the main reason)... fuck yeah it matters.

This makes the most sense. Even just throw on the side and then trickle up. You'll be able to get some money for the CM and if you want to get a thrower unit later it fits the scale.

What insert? do you mean 1 or 2 kernels or actual grains? because that is a big difference.

I meant 1-2 kernels

Reactions: Taylorbok
Well guys I bit the bullet and ordered the FX 120i scale. Could someone be so kind to tell me about how high the trickler nozzle should be . I 3D printed the adapters so I can mount a Lee powder measure up top.

On a side note I checked my Chargemaster lite against my old Ohaus 1010 today. Man... it was having a off day. 🙄

Well guys I bit the bullet and ordered the FX 120i scale. Could someone be so kind to tell me about how high the trickler nozzle should be . I 3D printed the adapters so I can mount a Lee powder measure up top.

On a side note I checked my Chargemaster lite against my old Ohaus 1010 today. Man... it was having an off day. 🙄
It depends on how tall your cup is.
Sadly I’m not at home to measure my trickler height so you could match that.

It depends on how tall your cup is.
Sadly I’m not at home to measure my trickler height so you could match that.
I caved and purchased the cup CE advertisers on their site.. if that helps

Hopefully this helps

Attachments

• 292369AA-B9C5-445A-B810-3273AB0979FC.jpeg
    292369AA-B9C5-445A-B810-3273AB0979FC.jpeg
    398.5 KB · Views: 52
Is it possible to weigh out 3 digets (thousands ) on the grain setting?

Attachments

• 20221130_015552.jpg
    20221130_015552.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 31
2 decimal places is max for grains. Not sure what powder your running but one kernel of 4350 weighs .04 so it doesn’t really matter

2 decimal places is max for grains. Not sure what powder your running but one kernel of 4350 weighs .04 so it doesn’t really matter
Running Varget. Forgot how it gets "crunchy" in the Lee Powder measure at times. 🙄