• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder Choice..

2625fps

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2009
NC
I've made the decision to start reloading for my .308 only. I will be reloading for precision, not hunting. I am in the process of attaining books/manuals to help me along. However, I have decided to start with Lapua brass, Sierra bullets and CCI primers, but I haven't decided which way I want to go regarding powder.

I think I have it narrowed down between VihtaVuori & IMR. Can anyone please give me some advice?

thanks

Re: Powder Choice..

I follow a simple procedure when I try to choose what I think is the most accurate powder for my rifle. The first thing I do is choose the bullet that I want to shoot. This I partialy decide upon by performance I want to achieve in the bullet, and twist rate. Then I decide the velocity at which I want to push the particular bullet. My next decision is to find the slowest powder that gives the best case fill for the velocity I want to achieve. I like to have my cases full of powder. It costs a bit more, but I do not scrimp on my powder, I want the best performance(most accurate). I find that case fill normally gives the most accurate load. My last decision is how the powder meters through the powder measure.

I do not consider temperature sensitivity of powder. However temp. sensitivity is not an issue where I use my rifles. Tom.

Varget is magic with the .308 and also among other calibers. If you can find it in stock just get some. It has shot every weight bullet through my GAP .308 1/2" or better(155's/175's/178's/190's). Recently when choosing another caliber to have a rifle built in, I chose this particular caliber over others because it was favorable with Varget as well. I don't think you will find a more temperature stable powder out there.

I'll even go as far to say that if your 308win won't shoot well with Varget, it most likely won't do much with other powders either. Why look any further..............

If you are looking for something that meters well then Varget is not the best. In that case I would go with Ramshot TAC. It meters awesome and rumor has it, its what Black Hills uses in their match .308 loads.

My FN A3G really likes Varget with 155gr scenars. Just couldnt get it to shoot well with RL 15, for what its worth.

Varget is my first choice. IMR 4064 is my second choice. The Vhitavouri powders are good, but can be cost prohibitive and not to mention difficult to find.

Believe it or not, I have a .308 that doesn't like Varget. It shoots H4895 and I4895 lights out. I have another that likes Varget and I4895 but won't shoot H4895. I've never tried any of the reloader powders due to availability in my area, but probably will as things free up. There is no doubt Varget is a great place to start, but don't think for a minute that the gun is crap if it doesn't work. Making a .308 shoot well is almost cheating...

I like Varget and IMR4064 pretty equally for the .308, 147gr to 175gr bullets inclusive.

But I no longer own or shoot the .308. My chamberings favor .260 Rem and .30-'06. I am learning about the .280, and it's become something of an eye-opener.

Greg

The best thing to do is find a buddy that has several kinds of powders and work up a load at his house. When you find the best one then stockpile up on it.

I'm having good luck with RL-15 & 155 matchkings. 45.4 is giving me 2800 out of a gas gun

IMR 4064 will be hard to beat, as you are going to weigh each charge, which I think adds to the "Precision" in Precision Reloading and Shooting. Do an OCW test, work on the OAL thing, then smile at the most satisfactory results I'd expect you to see, using 4064.

I have loaded bullet weights from 110-168 with great results with this powder. I did not have as good results with 175VLD Berger moly hpbt's but I only tried one load through my AR-10T. I'll bet tweaking the load will make them shoot equally well. Seems shooters using this powder are getting outstanding accuracy between 41.5 and 43.5. My 40X likes 43.0 grains

If I'm not mistaken, the AR has a 1:11.25 twist in the CM barrel? It likes 41.5 grains for sub moa. I'm betting an OCW test and tweaking the load, will reduce the group to 1/2 moa, if I do my part. The groups are five shots.

Varget holds it's pressure and velocity through a wide temp. variation. I've noticed using RE-15 (this is what I'm currently running) my velocity drops whith a drop in temp. Not bad, I'm just saying Varget is a litte more stable and has produced great results in my guns. The reason I'm using Reloader is because I can get it, and it produces good to better than good shot groups out of my .308. 3/4 MOA all day long. If your wanting to get the best results from you rifle you'll end up shopping around. Reloading is an addiction all of it's own. It's like eating potato chips. You can't just have one. Good luck.