• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Powder choices for 77grain smk or 75hornady.

rubberducky

Private
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2011
United States
I looked at the search options here on this form and couldn't find anything on
powder selection on the .223. Sorry if I missed it.

I have been reloading 9mm for couple months now. I am starting my to get supplies for the .233 rounds.

I am currently looking for a clean burning, climate stable, repeatable measuring powder.

I am shooting a pof 415 with 18inch barrel 1-8 twist.

I am thinking of loading 77 smk or 75 hornady for long range shooting beyond
300yards.

Any help would be great full.

Re: Powder choices for 77grain smk or 75hornady.

Varget is my choice of powder behind 77 SMK's. It performs well out of my 18" WOA SPR, & I use it in several other loads as well. I like to consolidate powders of choice whenever possible, it just makes things a little easier for me I suppose.

I've had good luck as well with RL-15 & TAC, but the Varget did just as well, if not better.

The only down side to Varget is that it's a stick powder & doesn't meter well, but precision loads should be trickled anyway so that really doesn't matter IMO.

I use varget in my Savage PC with the 77's works great, have not ran it over a chrony but it groups well under moa.

Varget. Not the most velocity but it works and doesn't fluctuate with temperature very much. 24-24.5 grains 2.25 COAL. Oh if you're looking for 223 brass brassmanbrass should still have Lake City new brass for sale, 145$ per 1k shipped. Can't beat that.

I am going to run my rounds threw a Dillion RL550B, unless told other wise.

I am liking the sound of varget. I don't know how it will run threw my press. Is the RL15 as sticky as the varget powder ?

How good is tac in extreme temp. I live here in MN and winter gets below zero and summers above 100 degrees. thank god its not often for the 100 degree weather.

N140 worked best for me in my SPR, but Ramshot TAC or Benchmark will give you a bit more velocity.

+1 for 24.5 grn varget, 77grn bergers, lap brass, ccibr4's
In a 1/8 twist AR platform. (2.26" mag length)

Also used 77 smk, but the bergers shot a little tighter
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rubberducky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am going to run my rounds threw a Dillion RL550B, unless told other wise.

I am liking the sound of varget. I don't know how it will run threw my press. Is the RL15 as sticky as the varget powder ?

How good is tac in extreme temp. I live here in MN and winter gets below zero and summers above 100 degrees. thank god its not often for the 100 degree weather. </div></div>

If using the 550 I wouldn't recommend auto dispensing a stick powder such as Varget or RL-15, you will NOT get repeatable throws. You'd be much better off using a ball powder like TAC or Benchmark if you want to auto-dispense.

Of course you could always remove the auto-dispenser and just hand drop weighed charges through a powder die/funnel if you have your heart set on a stick powder.

I've actually considered doing that myself, but currently don't shoot enough precision ammo to justify it. For me all my precision ammo is carefully processed & loaded on a single stage, and the large volume (plinking/blasting) ammo goes through my RL550B.

Thanks everyone for info about powder types . I been looking at hodgdon, alliant, and ramshot websites, looking at the powder you mentioned. and impressed with Tac, RL15, Vargent. Going to look at benchmark when done writing this.

Thanks for the info about the stick powder. Terrance250 I going to copy your lead on blasting ammo and precision. just going to try and take out the auto-dispenser when doing the precision.

I guess now its time to try them out to see what the gun shoots the best.

BTW - If you remove the auto-dispenser you can replace it with THIS for your precision loads.

16626_m.jpg