• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder coated cast lead bullets?

D_Lamz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2007
Central Texas
I'm toying with the idea of using .30 cal powder coated cast lead bullets for subsonic fun. I'm just wanting to know if there would be any left over residue in my custom Bartlein barrel and if it would cause any harm to accuracy. I've heard that it significantly reduces lead fouling and that's why I got intrigued.

i have been coated my pistol lead bullets with an epoxy paint plus baking for a couple of years, it works great. I shoot lots of 9MM, 40 and 45 with zero paint residue at more than subsonic speeds, I shoot them in glocks, FNPs, sigs etc etc.
don't know about powder coating but since it is a bake on product it should be fine at sub speeds.
Try a couple and and see if it work for you too.
cheers.

BIG thread over on Cast Boolits forum about powder coating cast bullets. For rifle and pistol. Sounds like it works well. I will try it for some .300 BLK sub sonics.

I started messing with powder coating, but lost interest. I was trying to get a cast bullet to shoot without leading my 1:7 twist rem700 AAC, 300 blackout and a fast twist, threaded 22 Hornet. The blackout leads really bad. I never got enough coated to see if that would stop the leading, may pick up this project again this winter.... Be careful with baking the boolits, I had several that slumped over in the oven!

I have found that powder coating is not as durable as Hi-Tek coating but it is better than a wax lubed lead bullet.

I'm specifically looking at buying Hi-Tek coated bullets. Just afraid if it'll leave residue in my barrel.

If it is leading with conventional lubing and a gas check you are not doing something right.

I'm fairly sure of that! I wasn't shooting supersonic so gas checks shouldn't be needed. Also. I won't shoot a gas check through my can. I think my alloy may have been way to soft. Just don't have the time to play with it right now

I think you'd have a hard time casting, sizing , and coating your own. Especially if you value your time! I doubt the powder coating would harm your bore, I mean how many would you shoot after all? And cast loads are usually so mild too. The 245 looks like the bullet my NOE mold throws, it's pretty long, might be hard to stabilize in a 308 but may work fine

I have had no issues with powder coating. Some of my best cast loads have come in the powder coated variety.

I think you'd have a hard time casting, sizing , and coating your own. Especially if you value your time!

This is my process with the hi-tek coating.

Bullet coating part II

This is my Homemade casting machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2U1ujg_nzo

This is my homemade sizing machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eANEMBS_V_0

However, it does depend a lot on, if you can get free lead and what dollar amount you put on your time.

The above is what I have found to be the least amount of work, for volume, that gives good results.