• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Powder Coating

11ZuluB4

Private
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2008
Banks OR
Have a brother in law who does powder coating as part of his trade. Having him redo a redi-mag that I scuffed up good on my last deployment. Just wondering if anyone has any experience powder coating gun parts and how has it worked out for you? How does it compare to cerakote?

Re: Powder Coating

only problem with powdercoat is it is extremely thick when compared to products like Cerakote. On a mag you may not have any issues, but on critical parts it is much to thick to allow proper functioning. You should have him spray it with cerakote and just bake it with the next batch of powder.

It also has a tendency to keep flaking off if you happen to ding it down to the metal. If you knock a chip out of it you might as well send it off to the refinisher.

Josh

Had a friend who had his 1911 powder coated not knowing how thick the stuff is. The slide wouldn't even go on the frame afterward.

People do some crazy things.

Thanks for the responses guys. I dont know a whole lot about powder coating and figured I would ask before doing anything drastic lol.

B4

I powder coat and all of the above is true except the flaking off! If it's done right then it will not flake off even with chips in it. It is thick stuff!

Other finishes also interest me, like Black Chrome, and whatever it is that Calphalon puts on their stove top griddles. They call it double anodized non-stick and the stuff has been holding up to murderous scrubbing with metal coil pads for years on my griddle. Love to have some on my rifles. Can't seem to kill it with anything short of a chisel.

Greg

Once saw "How It's Made" on TV about non-stick pans and learned that all they do is anodizing on top of aluminum. whether they keep some proprietary secret on top of that is unknown, but it sure didn't sound like there was much more than anodizing.

Double/sequential anodizing patent data. This look like a highly viable option for aluminum. I wonder how it mught work on other metals, like steel.