• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder cop vs. lock-out die

MikeInUtah

Minuteman
Mar 9, 2013
West Valley, UT
For guys with progressives, which powder check station do you recommend? The lockout die seems to be more of an active check while the powder cop is more passive since it requires you to monitor the powder cop's powder gauge. After calibrating the lock-out die, is it suseptible to false positives?

I was surpised this wasnt covered in a previous post after I seached for it but please direct me to it if I missed it.

I use the powder cop and like it. Looking at it is not a problem as it's worked into the cycle of the loading. Ram goes up I look at the powder cop. I like that is is such a simple and effective design. A steel rod going up and down. Nothing to break or batteries to die.

this is not even a question.... lock out die is the best of the two.

lock out die = one less thing to keep track of and you don't need to keep an eye on it.. if there is something wrong it will shut the whole thing down = better

powder cop = you need to keep an eye on it with each pull

I use the powder-cop die for rifle and the lock-out die for pistol. I have RCBS' version of each.

My reasoning is that I'm not so concerned that the rifle charges be dead-nutz accurate, as I'm only loading bulk .223 on the progressive press (for now). If it's off by less than half a grain I couldn't care less, any difference larger than that and I'll be able to see it at the powder-cop station and can take corrective action. With the handgun, I'd rather the Lock-Out die just lock up the press rather than pay too much attention to it. HOWEVER...I've found that with dense powders (like TiteGroup...which is what I'm currently using), I had to be quite meticulous of how I set up the Lock-Out die and made sure to check that it'd actually lock up the press on a double charge or no charge since the difference in volume between 0gr, 3.3gr, and 6.6gr isn't all that much.

I use the powder-cop die for rifle and the lock-out die for pistol. I have RCBS' version of each.

My reasoning is that I'm not so concerned that the rifle charges be dead-nutz accurate, as I'm only loading bulk .223 on the progressive press (for now). If it's off by less than half a grain I couldn't care less, any difference larger than that and I'll be able to see it at the powder-cop station and can take corrective action. With the handgun, I'd rather the Lock-Out die just lock up the press rather than pay too much attention to it. HOWEVER...I've found that with dense powders (like TiteGroup...which is what I'm currently using), I had to be quite meticulous of how I set up the Lock-Out die and made sure to check that it'd actually lock up the press on a double charge or no charge since the difference in volume between 0gr, 3.3gr, and 6.6gr isn't all that much.

Thanks sawgunner, this is the info I was looking for.