• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder Dropping on Press

dan46n2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2006
Is it normal for small amounts of powder to drop on the shellplate? I have a Dillon 650 and every time I load there are always grains of powder falling on the shellplate. I'm talking about maybe 30 grains after loading 500 rounds.

Re: Powder Dropping on Press

ball powder = yes
Stick powder = no

30 individual granuals? or 30 grains of powder?
30 grains by weight and something's amiss.

When I load for 9mm, I find that my cases are pretty full and so some powder ends up slopping out when the shellplate moves., I know there are some remedies for this but I have not tried any of them yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ball powder = yes
Stick powder = no

30 individual granuals? or 30 grains of powder?
30 grains by weight and something's amiss. </div></div>

30 individual granuals.. I did some reading and it seems that static causes the granules to stick to the funnel and it gets knocked off as the press operates. Solutions mentioned were to wipe the funnel with an antistatic dryer sheet or ground the press.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hill billy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I load for 9mm, I find that my cases are pretty full and so some powder ends up slopping out when the shellplate moves., I know there are some remedies for this but I have not tried any of them yet. </div></div>

I've noticed the same thing on mine. When you index the shell plate and it 'snaps' into the next position is when this usually happens. I have gotten into the habit of putting my finger over the top of the open case while I index. This is greatly diminished the powder on the shellplate.

Make sure the powder funnel that rides inside the powder die isn't upside down.

Greg

Same with the 550'B
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, it's normal. Mine is covered in powder. As long as it doesn't get under the shell plate, you'll be fine. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Make sure the powder funnel that rides inside the powder die isn't upside down.

Greg </div></div>

Just checked and it's put in right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoffels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Same with the 550'B
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, it's normal. Mine is covered in powder. As long as it doesn't get under the shell plate, you'll be fine. </div></div> </div></div>

This seems like a poorly made system, its a PITA to take apart my press everytime after using it. I guess I don't really have to do that but it annoys me seeing powder get all over the press.

Has anyone tried grounding their press to prevent powder from sticking to the side of the funnel and then falling when it's operated? How well does that method work? I'm filling my .223 brass about 2/3 of the way so I don't think it's coming from the cases.

I can't say that I've seen the powder sticking to the powder funnel then falling onto the shellplate.
I see the "snapping issue" all the time. Of course, more prevalent the fuller the cases. Even with your .223s loaded 2/3s of the way, I would still watch as you should be able to see the powder splashing out a bit at a time as you index.
Especially after 500 rounds. I use the canned air treatment probably every 25 rounds or so.
Also, see the link from Brian's site (USPSA) -- lot's of Dillon experience/tips shared there given the loading volumes. I've done the McMaster tweak mentioned and it helps with the snap somewhat.
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=86570&hl=650+tip