• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder Experiment

Alex126

Lance for life
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2014
NC
So as I'm sure a lot of you have noticed, popular reloading components are extremely hard to find right now. What better time to build a new rifle, right? I've got a 6br that should be ready this week or next and I'm trying to figure out a load for it. $2.30 a round for factory Lapua just isn't going to happen.

The issue is powder- most load data I find points to Varget or H4895. Neither are available in my area or online. However, I was able to find Accurate 2520 and 2460, which are supposed to be roughly equivalent to the more popular powders, respectively.

Does anyone have experience loading 6br with either of these? I don't want to waste time and bullets if the results aren't going to be there.

Not really addressing your question as I havent used either accurate powder but I have used varget and 4895. Varget in the BR is so ridiculously easy that it would be worth setting up an Ammoseek alert (it probably pops up more often than you think) and asking around your locality to find some (a wtb in the Px, with appropriate “please help, I’m poorly supplied” language, for example.). Pm me your location. If you are close, maybe I can help.

No specific info for the accurate powders, but people are also using 8208XBR, VV N140 and 150, and CFE223. Varget popped up on the hodgdon website last week, so it's out there.

Berger lists AA4064 in their manual for the 105 & 108 gr bullets. Can always call them as well to get a decent starting point.

No specific info for the accurate powders, but people are also using 8208XBR, VV N140 and 150, and CFE223. Varget popped up on the hodgdon website last week, so it's out there.

Berger lists AA4064 in their manual for the 105 & 108 gr bullets. Can always call them as well to get a decent starting point.

Is there a way to set an alert for in stock products on Hodgdons site or just check daily and hope to get lucky?

Think i saw a post yesterday about Hogdon having H4895 in stock yesterday. I would get a list of 4-5 of the bigger powder sellers online and check them very regularly, It will pop up sooner or later.

Which one?

sorry I thought I had high lighted it...

the shooters world precision rifle powder works very well in the BR based cases...I also thought that grafs had it in stock.

if you see some I’d suggest you give it a try.

Reactions: Alex126