• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder for 6.5 Creedmoor with 136 to 140 Bullets

MLS2GO

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 4, 2019
    Missouri and Arizona
    I am new to reloading for Precision Rifle. (Not to reloading.) I have a MPA built Curtis Axiom based rifle with the MPA Barrel chambered for 140 ELD, to shoot PRS style matches. I have been buying components since August and have bullets bought between 136 and 140 to load. I have some H4350 and more 6.5 Stabal for powder and enough primers for now. Since powder is the hardest thing next to primers I want to widen my search. I am looking at Accurate 4350 and R 16 as other powders to try. I have read about a bazillion articles here and at other sites to come down to these two and I have seen more of these available than others mentioned. So my question for you, are either of these 2 powders something I should attempt to load with and if not what based on the above criteria. Thanks.

To be honest 6.5 staball has been one of the easiest powders for me to get in this craziness. It will usually sit a little longer before selling out. Hodgdon had 8 pound jugs on their website for several days before it sold out. I would say just pick up more 6.5 staball. If you’re really wanting to try another powder then RL16 would be my choice, although it sells out fast and seems harder to come by then staball 6.5.

Reactions: MLS2GO
    RL-16 has been a good powder for me. It has Varget like temperature stability plus more pressure headroom up top than H4350.

winchester 6.5 sta bal , sw 4350 is supposed to work well I have not had the chance to try any yet . imr 4350 just have to keep in mind its' temp sensitive and will change from summer to winter rl17 imr 4451 accurate 4350 and nobel sport maybe 5000 or 7000 and probably others good luck finding powder that will work well for you and your gun .