• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder for 9mm Plinking

TX_Diver

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
WI
Found a shop that actually has some powder today (not much but better than most shops currently). Wondering what y'all would recommend picking up for a 9mm load?

I don't load pistol currently but am getting very light on 9mm so I was planning to start shortly.

They had Win 231, green dot, lil gun, tite wad, HS-6, and HP-38 (I didn't take a picture of the full shelf which would've made this way easier :( ).

Looking online it seems like Win 231 is popular for plinking rounds. I'm just shooting steel in my backyard and at a local shoot. Primary concern is reliability w/ accuracy and recoil/flash next as the matches I shoot are indoors in a small basement. Metering well through an RCBS uniflow powder measure would be a benefit. I was intending to load 115gr projectiles but could get 124s instead if that'd be better with one of the above powders. Would be shot through a G19 of P365.

Cheers

I'm a fan of Titegroup myself. A lil goes a long way. It can be a lil dirty though.

I've loaded with 231 & HP-38 as well. They're basically the same powder from my understanding. Powder charge min-max use the charge weights.

I'm a fan of Titegroup myself. A lil goes a long way. It can be a lil dirty though.

I've loaded with 231 & HP-38 as well. They're basically the same powder from my understanding. Powder charge min-max use the charge weights.

they had tite wad but I assume that’s different than tite group

they had tite wad but I assume that’s different than tite group
Yes, it's different.

Can't go wrong with 231 or the HP-38. I started with 231 when I first starting loading pistol. Still have some HP-38 in the cabinet.

231 is a good option, as is WSF.
I’m not sure if it’s a wife’s tale but I avoid the faster powders I love in 40s&w and 45 ACP for use in 9mm, seen enough boo boos with fast powders in 9mm that I just don’t bother.

231 and hp-38 are identical just different labels those would be great options for plinking rounds it fills the case enough that an double charge would be immediately obvious which is a nice bonus if you load on a progressive

Not your usual answer, but you can find it right now. Red Dot, or one of the clones.

I'm pretty old school with most of my pistol loads. In these times of shortage I would recommend you stock up on Unique if you can. There isn't a common pistol caliber out there that can't be made to work with it. And yes, it works great with 9mm. Not as clean burning as the more modern stuff but it doesn't bother me. Meters fine also if your powder dispenser is set up properly and you take a second to settle the powder well. If things REALLY go south, you can even load shotshells with it. I love the stuff.

231/hp38 is a good 9mm powder. Hs6 would be better if you're trying to match hv carry ammo.

I'm pretty old school with most of my pistol loads. In these times of shortage I would recommend you stock up on Unique if you can. There isn't a common pistol caliber out there that can't be made to work with it. And yes, it works great with 9mm. Not as clean burning as the more modern stuff but it doesn't bother me. Meters fine also if your powder dispenser is set up properly and you take a second to settle the powder well. If things REALLY go south, you can even load shotshells with it. I love the stuff.
I’ve been a Unique man since my very first days of loading handgun rounds. (That is measured in decades). However, my son has gotten me switched to Bullseye. First couple of hundred rounds of 9mm have me very happy. Never thought I would like Bullseye because of fear of double charging lite loads in .357 and 44 Mag. (Where Unique really shines) but with 9mm, no issues, fills the case nicely.

As far as light to medium loads in .32 H&R Mag, .357, 44 Mag, .45 Colt, I belevie Unique can’t be beat.

I run HS-6 and Bluedot in 9mm. Mostly HS-6 these days, since it meters well out of a Harrell's.

I like Bluedot for 147gr subsonic loads though; low velocity, but cycles the action well, and high load density limiting being able to accidentally double charge a case.