• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder help with the big 50!

Silverbullet2

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2009
Near Seattle, Wa.
Guys,

This winter I plan on loading some 50 BMG, and was wondering what powder you are using? I don't have the rifle yet, but plan on starting with military FMJ's first. I saw that WC872 was pretty economical. Anyone have some experience with it? Thanks, J

For general blasting loads, (API, pulled FMJ, etc) the surplus powders do well. I use WC872 at 225grs for 647gr APIs. For match loads, I stick with H50BMG with 750gr AMAXs.

I used wc867(close to wc872) in my ar50 when loadin milsurp bullets. It wasn't the most accurate combination but it was good for letting new people shoot and just general shooting steel or other objects.

For accuracy you should stick with h50 or vv 20n29 for the heavier stuff. I used the Lehigh 800gr hybrids.

I prefer WC 860 for loading using military surplus brass and bullets. Loads from 215-222 grains works well for 643-650 grain surplus bullets. Haven't used WC 872 only WC 860 and IMR 5010.

I use WC 867 in my Modified AR50 when plinking and playing around with 690gr projos. With 750gr Amax I use 228gr of H50BMG to get great accuracy. I have also used IMR5010 but good luck trying to find that.

"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ"

I have used WC860 with good results. I use 232gr to push a 690gr FMJ out at about 2,750 fps. For accuracy I use H50 and AMAX rounds.

From my school of hard knocks reloading the 50, I respectfully offer the additional reloading tips:

..Lube the cases up good before you resize/de-prime. Dillon case lube has worked the best for me.
..Get a Giraud case trimmer!
..I prefer a separate bench mounted priming tool.
..Get a RCBS primer pocket tool and be sure to clean the pockets out to the required depth.

Best of luck!