• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder Hopper Baffle Placement

jkonzal

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2011
NE WA
Curious to hear what you guys have to say about the placement of the baffle in the powder hopper. As the level in the hopper changes, so do the charge weights. What are some of your ideas about maintaining consistent charges based on the position of the baffle in the hopper?

Re: Powder Hopper Baffle Placement

I am confused by your question, so do not be offended.

Are you putting the baffle in first, with no powder in the powder measure, and then filling the hopper with powder? The baffle will regulate the amount of powder beneath it and a large air pocket is "trapped" under it. As you cycle the powder measure a corresponding amount of powder flows through the baffle, regaining nearly the same powder/air pocket ratio. This air pocket's purpose is to prevent the weight of the powder column in the hopper from varying and thus result in more uniform charge weights.

If that is not the problem, have you used a dryer sheet or anti-static spray to eliminate the effects of static electricity?

Also be sure to cycle several powder throws to obtain a powder/air space ratio before you adjust the weight of the powder charge.

I understand that. I'm just wondering at what level (1/4 or 1/3 or 1/2 etc from bottom of hopper) people find works the best.

A couple of years ago I expended a few hours of my precious time investigating the effect you question. I threw some 800 charges and weighed them. I found no difference in placement, nor did I have a significant change without a baffle. That is my experience and my measure. All varied +/- .01 grains. On my scale...which is not a lab scale either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A couple of years ago I expended a few hours of my precious time investigating the effect you question. I threw some 800 charges and weighed them. I found no difference in placement, nor did I have a significant change without a baffle. That is my experience and my measure. All varied +/- .01 grains. On my scale...which is not a lab scale either. </div></div>

I'm with this guy, makes no difference.
I have a Redding BR-30, and a Redding 10x competition, run baffles 1'4 way up from bottom. Ran the hoppers dry so many times, weighed all the charges, all the same.

Some people take it too far, I was out to a guys place, he is loading with a chargemaster, got down to last 10 cases, he added powder to the hopper, when he clearly had plenty to finish. I asked why he would do that, reply was, to get a more uniform charge?????
OMG

My only thought was someone has been reading too many forums.

Some people will use two powder baffles.

Google "Uncle Nicks powder baffle templates".

A PDF file with templates to cut your own out of aluminum roof flashing or even the plastic side of an 8# powder jug.

Using two baffles with the openings 90 degrees apart will insure that there is no heavy packed column of powder on the metering orifice. If the measure sits for a while, just throw a couple of charges and pour back into the reservoir. The double baffle system will "fluff" up your powder for nice consistent loads.

"Some people will use two powder baffles."

Guess that's one way to make sure they get it right!
wink.gif

I found a baffle helped with some powders but not all and the difference wasn't much. What helps more than a baffle is good tecnique in measure operation.