• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder in Hornady Blackout 110gr factory load ?

Antero Vipunen

Private
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2017
Any way to find out what powder Hornady uses in their Blackout 110gr factory load?

This produces impressive speeds from short barrel. Cannot replicate the speeds with H110 or N110.

You could try pulling one and inspecting the powder. I know that sounds obvious, but you'd be surprised how effective that can be. H110 is my go to .300BLK load for 110s, but playing around with QL it looks like you'd be hard pressed to go with a faster powder and get faster velocities. So that suggests the ever elusive mythology of "custom powder".

Edit: Accurate 4100 might get you there, but it's still a nominal difference from N110 or H110

1630961447492.png

All I can say about the Hornady 110 factory load is HOT-HOT-HOT it blows primers for me. No other loads do.

QL has the H110 burn rate factor as 0.8000 but to make the QL velocity match the measured speeds I need to up this to 0.95. This may be due to H110s temperature sensitivity, recently its been 95-100F.

Using burn rate of 0.95 QL shows that with 110gr projectile I can use 17.5gr of H110 while staying barely below 50k PSI. This produces ~1750fps at muzzle.

Meanwhile Hornady factory ammo goes 1910fps...

I'm at 19.5gr of H110 with all my 110gr 300blk loads. Right at 2370fps from a 16" barrel.
Hodgdon's online load data shows 18.4 as a starting load.

If you don't mind a compressed load, CFE BLK appears to get you to a higher velocity at lower pressures than H110. CFE BLK actually compresses quite well due to is finer grain. A drop tube is helpful too. Most of the better 300 HAMR loads with CFE BLK are compressed in my experience. The only downside I've seen with compressed loads is dependent on the seating die you may leave a ring where it contacts for the 110 VMax or Varmagedon bullets. My Hornady die does while my RCBS does not with compressed loads..
1631050022590.png

Maybe I should have mentioned earlier that I have a 5.5" barrel. Some slower powders may provide speed in longer barrels but with short barrel you get unburnt powder and maybe a nice fireball.

I ran the QL numbers for 4100 and CFE Blk powders mentioned in this thread. 4100 produces speeds very similar to H110. CFE Blk shows >50% unburnt powder from a 5.5" barrel so it looks like a good candidate for longer tubes.

Lil'Gun looks interesting, QL shows that very high 1800s are possible from a 5.5" barrel using the Hornady 110gr bullet and 21.8 gr of powder. I found Lil'Gun available online and now I have some coming. It's still not the same as the Hornady mystery powder but improvement over H110.

Now looking for a box of Hornady Black to study more closely..

Maybe I should have mentioned earlier that I have a 5.5" barrel. Some slower powders may provide speed in longer barrels but with short barrel you get unburnt powder and maybe a nice fireball.

I ran the QL numbers for 4100 and CFE Blk powders mentioned in this thread. 4100 produces speeds very similar to H110. CFE Blk shows >50% unburnt powder from a 5.5" barrel so it looks like a good candidate for longer tubes.

Lil'Gun looks interesting, QL shows that very high 1800s are possible from a 5.5" barrel using the Hornady 110gr bullet and 21.8 gr of powder. I found Lil'Gun available online and now I have some coming. It's still not the same as the Hornady mystery powder but improvement over H110.

Now looking for a box of Hornady Black to study more closely..
A lot of manufacturers use proprietary blends of powders that are not available to use peeons.

Reactions: bfoosh006
Our 110 vmax loads are around 2,400 fps at 50k psi out of a 16" barrel with the OEM powder that we use. Hornady would be able to do the same things with access to the same powder selections I believe.

Our 110 vmax loads are around 2,400 fps at 50k psi out of a 16" barrel with the OEM powder that we use. Hornady would be able to do the same things with access to the same powder selections I believe.
2400fps from 16" barrel sounds interesting. Hornady advertises 2375fps from 16" and same load does 1900+ from 5.5".

Are you a commercial ammo vendor here on SH?

2400fps from 16" barrel sounds interesting. Hornady advertises 2375fps from 16" and same load does 1900+ from 5.5".

Are you a commercial ammo vendor here on SH?

We are commercial manufacturer, but not a vendor here, so I won't post our brand to stay out of trouble. Just figured I'd point out that those speeds are easily doable at safe pressures with the right powder.

Any way to find out what powder Hornady uses in their Blackout 110gr factory load?

This produces impressive speeds from short barrel. Cannot replicate the speeds with H110 or N110.
I have no idea but I can tell you that Lil Gun was by FAR the fastest with a 110 Vmax. I use 19.6 grs and it's deadly accurate. I'm trying to remember the velo but it was around 2400.

Reactions: Sniperwannabee

I'm curious if you ever matched the Hornady Black factory loads in your 5.5" barrel? I've recently experimented with the same thing, and am coming up a little more than 100 fps less than the Hornady Black factory loads.

I have not been able to replicate the Hornady Black 110gr V-max load.

Labradar clocks this Hornady load at 1910fps from 5.5" barrel.

When I filled the case with H110 (21-22gr), with room left for V-max bullet, I was at low 1800fps. At the same time load felt overpressure, slightly "violent" cycling. This was at 60-70F temperatures.

Picture of the powder in Hornady Black load attached. This looks like miniature silver coins.

Could not find a visual match in Forensics Science Center's powder database

Attachments

• IMG_1506.PNG
    IMG_1506.PNG
    3.8 MB · Views: 87
  • Haha
I have not been able to replicate the Hornady Black 110gr V-max load.

Labradar clocks this Hornady load at 1910fps from 5.5" barrel.

When I filled the case with H110 (21-22gr), with room left for V-max bullet, I was at low 1800fps. At the same time load felt overpressure, slightly "violent" cycling. This was at 60-70F temperatures.

Picture of the powder in Hornady Black load attached. This looks like miniature silver coins.

Could not find a visual match in Forensics Science Center's powder database
What the …..forensic science database had no idea

Quick update: I have been testing Ramshot Enforcer for full power Blackout loads. This seems to offer bit more velocity compared to H110 or Lil Gun. With 18.8gr of Enforcer I'm sending the 110gr Vmax at 1900+ fps from 5.5" barrel, which is comparable to Hornady factory loads. Also works great for the 110gr Barnes TX bullet.

However Enforcer looks very different from the powder in Hornady loads.

Quick update: I have been testing Ramshot Enforcer for full power Blackout loads. This seems to offer bit more velocity compared to H110 or Lil Gun. With 18.8gr of Enforcer I'm sending the 110gr Vmax at 1900+ fps from 5.5" barrel, which is comparable to Hornady factory loads. Also works great for the 110gr Barnes TX bullet.

However Enforcer looks very different from the powder in Hornady loads.
You may want to try H110 again. I'm getting 1955 FPS from a 5.5" rattler using 19.7 gr H110 in converted LC brass with CCI 450 primers and 110 gr Nosler Varmageddon (nearly identical to the VMAX from what I can find). I believe the factory load is only supposed to hit 1900 FPS in that barrel.