• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report POWDER.IS IT A PERSONAL PREFERANCE?

awe2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2010
pleasantshade,tn
I am new to reloading,and am wondering if anyone has a suggestion for the best powder to use for 165 hornady sst? It will be going through a savage 10 fcp 24"barrel in 308.The use will be for distance and hunting.I have used the search and not found what i am looking for.Any info would help. If there is anything I have leftout let me know.Thanks PS, Is this is a stupid question?

Re: POWDER.IS IT A PERSONAL PREFERANCE?

I get good results with IMR4064 shooting 168's, but its a bit temperature sensitive so I have to modify my load for winter or summer to keep the velocity where it's accurate.

Also, Varget, IMR4895, H4895, Re15, are all good powders for what you're shooting. Pick one that you can find locally or at the best cost, and shoot it.

I use 4064 mostly because I can load it in a number of calibers and it gives good accuracy and velocity.

Any of the following have been shown to deliver highly accurate ammo for 308.

Varget
BL-C(2)
RL-15
Rl-17
N140
N150
N540
H4895
H4064
I3031
W748
<and a dozen more>

So, to a first order, as long as you stick with a powder from a real reloading manual that is in the right burn rate, there is every confidence that you can develop a highly accurate load for your rifle.

Thanks for the info,and the link.I should be ready to go in a few weeks.Just have to decide what to try first.Thanks for your help.

In answer to the title of your post, it really shouldn't boil down to personal preference. First of all, there are powders that are too fast or too slow for a .308. Secondly, consider the range of conditions you will use it in. The less temperature sensitivity the better. Third, some powder(s) will be more accurate with your combination of brass, primer, bullet and seating depth.

Two that I've had good luck with in both a 20" and a 24" barrel are Varget and RL-15, both with 165-168 gr. projectiles. But others listed above are worth trying. I made the mistake of buying 4 lbs. of IMR 3031 back when I first started, not realizing it was only good for 147-150 gr. bullets out of my rifles. I use it but only for plinking loads with a hodgepodge of once-fired brass. Nowadays, I load for both rifles with Varget. Fortunately, both rifles really like the same exact load. All I have to do is keep the brass carefully sorted for each rifle.

If you end up liking a powder, either buy an 8 lb. jug of it or get 7-8 lbs. of the same lot. A powder like Varget is pretty temperature insensitive, but will vary slightly from lot to lot. You might find yourself adjusting a load .2-.4 grains just to get back to the same sweet spot.

To a degree, yes.

My experience with several calibers (.22-250, .308, .30-'06) leads me to standardize on IMR-4064.

I have used other powders with similar burn rates and success, but I also find that IMR-4064 is available more of the time, so it has become a preference.

For the most part, you'll eventually find that many choices will present themselves, and preferences will follow practical considerations, maybe a bit like mine.

Greg

Thanks for more info.Thats what I like about this site.All you guys try to help a fellow shooter get better instead of running them down.I was kind of leaning towards varget,but might try it and imr 4064.Thanks alot guys.If any of you are close to middle TN,send me a pm. thanks,
Alan

Theres a lot of things in this sport that are preference and many things have good data to support using it or not. I tend to stick primarily with the Reloader myself. I also shoot winchester powders but I dont even own any IMR. I get things to shoot how I want them too with what I like. Lots of IMR shooters out there tho. Just my preference. Just another preference tho, if you wanna better hunting bullet for that 308 shoot the interbond. Have had good luck with the Interbond not so much with the SST..

Good Luck To Ya

IMR 4064 is a good powder and, like Greg says, if you can get good results across different calibers or rounds, so much the better. I've never gotten around to trying it in my .308s but have good results with 168 SMKs in a M1 Garand .30-06 load.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To a degree, yes.

My experience with several calibers (.22-250, .308, .30-'06) leads me to standardize on IMR-4064.

I have used other powders with similar burn rates and success, but I also find that IMR-4064 is available more of the time, so it has become a preference.

For the most part, you'll eventually find that many choices will present themselves, and preferences will follow practical considerations, maybe a bit like mine.

Greg </div></div>ditto for me greg but im starting to worry trends will follow our posts and the imr4064 fairy will stop stocking my local drugstore the same way what happened to the mythical beast called vargay. prolly wouldnt hurt to have data for a backup powder type or 2.

i wouldn't worry about the 4064 stock, anyone who reloads now or anyone that stocks it know of it's versatility in many rounds, so it's not a big secret.

it's probably my "universal" preference also in anything from .223 to .3006, with imr4350 as the universal in the belted cartridges. not saying 4064 is the best, but the best to use as an all around cartiridge powder with good to great results depending on the bullet and distance.

IMR4320 is another one that can load lots of calibers but no one seems to use it, it should compare to 4064 but the kernels are smaller so it meters easier. I think I was using it in my AR 223, 243, 22-250 and 30-06 loads plus a couple others, maybe 222? Been awhile.

There are lots of powders around, varget is what I use in 308 because varget+heavy bullets was the easiest combination. I really didn't have to fiddle with it to get accuracy, other powders were more finicky.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> imr4064 fairy will stop stocking my local drugstore the same way what happened to the mythical beast called vargay.</div></div>

Powdervalley has varget in stock, 135 per 8lbs. Get some locals together and split hazmat on a big order, it's the best way. I used to think going down to a local play and paying 148$ was cheaper, but at 3.19$ a gallon for gas and 60 miles roundtrip it's not.

And I feel particularly stupid for all the times I drove down there just to buy a couple boxes of bullets...