• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

powder measuring

p8re8

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2008
indianapolis indiana
another newbie question and i tried to search. i'm borrowing a buddies 3-br redding powder measure and it throws with .5-.75 gr, deviation. is this just this one? are these type of measurers capable of no deviation, i'm using varget, i think extruded is harder to measure. do you all use the expensive electronics? +/- 45 gr. seems like alot out of a trickler. how are you measuring to be accurate?

Re: powder measuring

I usually use my Lee powder measure to get me close with my varget (for the 223 around 24.6-8) then trickle the last little bit in until the dillon scale reads 25.

Throw one grain low into your pan and then trickle to within .1 grain.

Or get a Chargemaster
smile.gif

Different powder types will meter differently. basicaly the smaller the kernel the better it will do. depending on which rifle it's for I may just throw the charges if the powder allows, or I will throw light and trickle up to weight.

Electronic scales will have a more precise reading, probably ±.1gr but even then they can lose calibration. These days a digital scale is a must have on the reloading bench IMO. I have an Ohaus triple beam but its for aesthetic more than anything now.

I double-check/verify charges on my RCBS beam scale as my DPS3 is dispensing the next charge. I get to within .1 grain that way. The dispenser has not failed yet to throw a charge to within .1 of what I programmed. For that reason, I manually adjust anything heavier (or trickle up)as I transfer the pans, then re-weigh it back on the electronic scale under the dispenser. I have to do that maybe once out of 20 loads or so - not a big deal to me and I'd rather do that than necessarily trickle every charge.
To be honest, whether or not the A/C is on affects my accuracy more than anything mechanical in the dispenser - that I can see. I do calibrate both scales regularly during reloading sessions; and, maybe for peace-of-mind more than anything else, sometimes. There are faster ways, to be sure, but I try to stick with a routine that I trust and that gives me confidence (and safe loads!).

The user's technique has a great influence on the consistency of the results. Usually, going slowly on the stroke and pausing at the extremes is beneficial. Throwing several settling charges (maybe 10) is necessary before measuring your results. You should be able to get better results than what you've experienced.

As in the rest of the sports...whichever they are...technique is everything. Practice and repeatability will get you well within +/- .2 gr. Hardly any measures...no matter the expense...will do better. Which is why the OCW method is so valuable. JMHO

As stated above, technique is probably 90% of being repeatable. I can use my Harrell's Premium to +/- .1 of a grain on most IMR powders. But after throwing powder for over 35 years I think I'm closing in on my technique.

Okay so we agree technique is critical, so lets give him a bone. This is how I do it but strap in and get some more responses before jumping on it. I like to lift swiftly to the top so it hits the top with enough force to jiggle stuff, and hesitate there, then come down with the same type of stroke. with a little bounce at the bottom to make sure the charge dumps completely. make sure you're using the biggest tip you can for your cartridge. I like the clear green ones on my r.c.b.s. so I can tell if there are any stoppages. okay thats mine wait for verification. I regularly make ammo that will shoot under an inch w\ this method.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jasmck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where is the picture of the Brand Cole made Prometheus?

james </div></div>

Ask and you shall receive
ab.jpg

oh yeah get one of those baffle thingys or make one out of a card or something. maybe someone else knows the technical term.

wow, if you put corn in the top I bet you could drink it.

wow, i had no idea. if i put that much effort in i would still be married. maybe trickling in 45 gr. isn't that big of a deal.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jasmck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where is the picture of the Brand Cole made Prometheus?

james </div></div>

Ask and you shall receive
ab.jpg
</div></div>

The RCBS Chargemaster will measure within .1gr reliably. Sometimes (rarely) it over-dispenses but it will always tell you. Now assuming you've found a load that tolerates minor changes to charge weight, primers cases etc., thats good enough accuracy for all but the bench rest crowd.