• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder recommendation for a .260 Remington

TBass

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2008
Colorado
I am currently shooting some factory loads from Blackhills ammo stuffed w/ 139 grain Lapua Scenars & it groups like a champ. I am now getting ready to start reloading all of the brass & I am perplexed on which powder I should use. Most of my reloading manuals give data for the IMR4350; however, it seems like a lot of people on the Hide are using H4350 (and there is almost no data in my manuals for H4350).

Is there any reason (other than just shear personal preference) that I should use one powder over the other?

Re: Powder recommendation for a .260 Remington

I've found that both IMR and H4350 do very well in my 260
also look at IMR 4831

Steve

Steve,

Other than just simple personal preference, is there a case to be made to use one powder over the other?

honestly you have to try it in your rifle to see what will bring the best accuracy/velocity combination, IMO they are all pretty good choices because they fill up the case, and the pressure doesn't get exessive in MY rifle untill I get over 2950fps with HbN coated 142smk's in lapua brass, everybody's rifle is different, and they like different components, just pick from one of the many good choices for the 260, try it out, and go from there
wink.gif

In all my 6.5's, I have had great success with Hodgdon 4831SC. Most accurate and fastest among the bunch.

if you can find H 4350 start with 42 grains and work up.

Take a look at the link below. Also, scroll through the reloading and exterior ballistics topics, and you will find good info on powders and loads for the 260. In a nut shell, H4350 is going to be the most commonly used. H4831 and R17 are also great choices.
I have tried H1000, R19, R17, H4350, and H4350 came out on top. I could not get enough powder in the case for H1000. R17 had the tightest groups. H4350 shot almost as good and gave 4.5 fps extreme spread, so I went with that. R19 also shot decent.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...621#Post1146621

I guess what kind of perplexes me is that the majority of my reloading manuals (which all are about 2 to 3 years old) have a lot of data with respects to the IMR4350, but little to no data for the H4350 when it comes to the 139 & 140 grain bullets.

I am now of the consensus that I will start with the H4350 to work up a load; however, I am still trying to figure out why there is so little data in the reloading manuals for the H4350 when the majority of the Hide members seem to be using it.

I want to thank everyone for their input

Don't forget Ramshot Big Game (for 95-120gr loads), and Ramshot Hunter (for the heavies). I use H4350 now for everything from 95's to 142's.

I appreciate everyone’s input; however one of the questions that I had still has not been answered & that is: “Is there any reason (other than just shear personal preference) that I should try using one powder over the other?” Is one powder better over a wider temperature spectrum? Is one powder small in size than the other so it is easier to measure more accurately? Does one powder tend to produce more consistent velocities?

Also, as previously stated, most my manuals have reloading info for the IMR 4350 & not the H4350 when it comes to the .260 caliber, yet it appears a majority of Hide members like the H4350. Is there some sort of fundamental difference that gives the H4350 the leg up on the IMR4350; other than it happens to shoot well in certain Hide member’s barrels?

The route question stems from the fact that I have a barrel that seems to shoot anything & everything well in the 139 to 140 gr weight, irrespective of the powder or primer being used. Thus, I want to use a powder that might have a distinct advantage over another powder.

H4350 is one of Hodgon's extreme powders. Like Varget it is not as temperature sensitive as the IMR series. For me, meters well through my Dillon powder measure. Can load alot on the 650 when used in conjunction with the powder check die.

Only thing is H4350 is hard to get. If you have to, look at some alternatives or load 123's which can be driven by RL15 and others.

NRAShooter - thank you - that was exactly the type of information that I was looking for.