• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder Recommendations for Sierra 175's

Re: Powder Recommendations for Sierra 175's

Most I know use Varget as do I, but there are plenty of good choices like H4895, IMR4895, IMR4064, BLC-2 and a few more.

That's great news on the RL 15 - I actually HAVE some of that.

Went to a bunch of sites today to price powder and primers. Unbelievable. I have never seen the on line primer shelves completely empty. Midway isn't even taking backorders on them.

And powders are not much better.

I've been through runs and shortages before, but this is something else. Never seen anything like it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dksd39</div><div class="ubbcode-body">both of my rifles love 43gr R-15. Its not a really hot load but it works great for me. </div></div>
+1 on that load. Around 2580fps out of my KMW. Stacks them nicely @ 100yards. Not fast enough but if you are doing some paperpunching 100-300 does nicely.

Vulcan,

For years I was sold on Varget. That's until I was given some Black Hills Match 175's with a rifle I bought. On this site I found out the BH uses Ram Shot TAC. I've been using TAC now for several months and it shoots better in several of my 308's than any of my Varget loads. The TAC powder is cheaper by 8 to 10 dollars a pound arround here to so that's a bonus. Varget is still more accurate in my 223's.

I run 45gr of Varget behind 175 SMKs. Gets me 2700 out of 24 inch barrel or 2650 out of 22 inches.