• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder restocking

jcdean

Private
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2012
I have reloaded for quite some time, but it has always been pistol calibers. I have 650 set up now for both 223 and 308's now. I'll be headed up to Powder Valley this weekend and would like a suggestion on some powders to buy.

I am currently planning on buying some Varget, RL-15, CFE, and BLC2. I will be loading around a 62g for the RRA 16" and 20" 223 and a 175 for the FNAR 20" 308.

I stalk the forums frequently and eagerly await suggestions.

Re: Powder restocking

A good idea to pick up powders listed in the manuals for the specific bullets you are going to load.

Different manufactures' bullets are a little different with different requirements even for the same weight. And 223 loaded for an AR is not the same as for a bolt gun.

OFG

I would look into IMR8208 XBR, Ramshot TAC, and H322 to your list of potential powders.

All good choices but the Dillon powder system will deliver more consistent charges with Ball type powders.

Very good point, I failed to take that into consideration. In that case, I would definitely look at TAC, and W748. There are more "advanced" powders out there compared to W748, but it's worker very well for me in my short reloading experience. I have mainly use stick powders, so someone else could make far better recommendations on ball powders then myself.

Remember to consider how you will meter the powders when stocking up.

If you are looking to make large number of rounds (i.e. in a progressive press, using a volumetric powder measure), picking a smooth metering (i.e. spherical) powder will save you a ton of time.

If, on the other hand, you are loading for utmost accuracy, Varget and other extruded powders with temp stability seem to work best.

What I have seen is folks that want to make tons of rounds pick an extruded powder (like Varget because of its temp stability) and then have issues getting it to meter correctly in a volumetric measure on a progressive press. Temp stability will be eclipsed by +/- .5 or 1 grain powder throws...

BTW: I know that progressives can meter properly when everything is just right (and generally when they are not being used in a progressive fashion). When you are doing all the operations (sizing, powder throw, bullet seating) at the same time (i.e. one round per handle pull) I have not had good luck getting the powder measure to throw better than +/- .5 gr with an extruded powder. Sphericals seem to work better that that...

As always, YMMV

The answer to your question about thrown charges vs carefully measured is yes and yes.

I was planning on a copious amount of reloading for the local fauna (feral pigs, tons of them) where the object is simply glass on hair and hoping they crawl off and die so that you don't have to gather then up yourself. I also will do loading on a single stage as well where each charge will be thrown by hand for when we are going for bragging rights.

So, I will be getting both sorts, stick and ball. I figure if I get a pound of 5 or 6 different varieties I will surely find one or two that will do the respective trick for me.