• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder scale/dispenser help

300wmSlick

Slick
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2017
Indiana
I'm new to reloading but not to shooting, I have most of my stuff already to reload and am about finished with building my reloading bench, but I'm looking for help/opinions on what to get/stay away from on powder dispensers and scales. I would prefer to just get one that does both like Hornady or an RCBS.
I'm planning on reloading for precision with a single stage press. I'm not looking to break the bank for a scale at $800 but I'm ok with spending $400 or less for one if it'll be good for me and accurate. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Get a RCBS Chargemastwr 1500. Watch the PC here for one used as they come up quite regularly with folks upgrading to the Auto Trickler v3. You can find one in the $225-250 range that way.

Another option is the Lyman Gen6. I use one and am getting single digit es and sd #s with it. I have zero complaints. It's not the fastest but plenty accurate.

If you're just getting started and the difference between $400 & $800 breaks the bank, I would consider getting a decent balance beam scale, a good set of check weights, a trickler and a powder thrower.

Then post an inventory of the rest of your equipment. Folks will chime in to offer suggestions on where to spend the leftover budget to get the most accuracy.

That said, I have the Hornady Lock and Load Auto Charge. I got it on sale for around $135 and always use it but I still check each throw on a balance beam scale. I'm too OCD to accept less than exact to within one granule.

Reactions: fxdrider
I guess $800 won't break the bank, i just didn't think I would need to be at that high of a price point just starting out.

RCBS Chargemaster lite. My brother picked one up a couple of years ago and it works great! I'd stay away from the Hornady - my father in law's unit has been nothing but trouble.

Natchez has it for 270.
For cyber Monday they have coupon code P191128 for 10% off which makes it 257 to my door.
Get your cart up to 300 bucks and you can use code D191128 which will take 40 bucks off, meaning you get 10 bucks off the chargemaster plus 30 bucks of other crap for free.

Reactions: spife7980
Natchez has it for 270.
For cyber Monday they have coupon code P191128 for 10% off which makes it 257 to my door.
Get your cart up to 300 bucks and you can use code D191128 which will take 40 bucks off, meaning you get 10 bucks off the chargemaster plus 30 bucks of other crap for free.
If you cant stomach an auto throw at 900 then the chargemaster is the obvious other option. Used you might find them a bit cheaper down at 225 or so (which is where I sold mine at) but 260 is a good price to remove your powder weighing time and efforts from the process.

Charge master or Hornandy if you don’t mind tinkering with it a bit.
Once I made a straw insert for the Hornandy it’s been a GTG.
The charge master is a better machine I think.