• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder scale

dferg77

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2008
berryville, AR
I was wondering what a good battery powered scale with
0.01 gr. resolution was, if one exits. If not does anyone know
of one close to that. Thanks for any help

Re: Powder scale

I've Got an Acculab VIC-123. It plugs into the wall though.
Most i've heard about are using the Acculab or the Denver Instruments for .01gr resolution.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dferg77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was wondering what a good battery powered scale with
0.01 gr. resolution was, if one exits. If not does anyone know
of one close to that. Thanks for any help </div></div>

I'm sure you've got your reasons for wanting a battery powered scale, respectfully curious what they are. Hopefully any unit you end up with will let you use an AC adapter for backup.

Midway has the Frankford Arsenal DS-750 for only $19.99, but it only measures to the tenth. The RCBS Rangemaster 750 and Lyman 1000 XP will operate from a 9v battery or AC adapter, but again, only measure to the tenth. You must be loading a small cartridge to need .01 grain accuracy. I've never seen one, you may need a lab grade scale for that.

These threads crack me up. For true.01 and greater resolution look at spending thousands, there made by mettler,ohaus,and such. They measure to .1mg(.0015) or .2mg(.003) were talking particles of dust. If you want true .01 resolution it takes a lot more than plugging a scale into the wall. Acculab 123 and denvers(both good for the money) I'd consider a good .05 scale and fine for reloading but .02 LOL.

If it's for powder, you don't need .01 grains accuracy. I run an Accu-lab 123, and it's good to .02 grains. It is sensitive to a kernel of gun powder (less than a kernel depending on which powder). Battery powered, I don't know. I've read you get variations in power from batteries, which keep it from being highly accurate.

The only battery powder units I know go to .1 grains, which would be fine for field use. If it's to be used in the field, you might find that other external factors will be more of a problem than the scale, like wind and level tables and such.

Same scale works to within .02 not .01 there the best in my opinion

Bill

a<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 4Rail_Gunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've Got an Acculab VIC-123. It plugs into the wall though.
Most i've heard about are using the Acculab or the Denver Instruments for .01gr resolution.
</div></div>

But it can do it if you need it ?????????????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C.K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These threads crack me up. For true.01 and greater resolution look at spending thousands, there made by mettler,ohaus,and such. They measure to .1mg(.0015) or .2mg(.003) were talking particles of dust. If you want true .01 resolution it takes a lot more than plugging a scale into the wall. Acculab 123 and denvers(both good for the money) I'd consider a good .05 scale and fine for reloading but .02 LOL. </div></div>

When your talking about scales that range from 250 to 500 dollars and you want absolute .02gn resolution your asking a lot. I'd say .05 is closer. I had a $500 denver I sent with my uncle(works for mettler toledo for the last 25+ years) to test it out. He told me its a .03 to .04 scale and thats in the clean room on a controled power scource not plugged into a standard outlet. Thats why I say .05gn resolution. I'm not saying there junk I'm just saying.

Thanks for all the responses, good and bad.
I was wanting the best resolution possible for less
than a couple hundred. I've been playing with subsonic loads
using trailboss powder and the Kernels are very light. As for the battery powered option I travlel alot with my job. When traveling I stay in a RV park
,hence the subsonic quiet trigger time. After doing some reading on benchrest forums I ordered a jennins vg-20. We'll see how it works