• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder selection

00juice

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2020
I’m looking to start working some loads for my 7mm mag with 168 Bergers. This rifle will be my primary deer rifle and elk rifle for a trip next year. I want to develop a load so I can start collecting some dope and be comfortable shooting at various distances with it for my elk trip next year. That being said, most of my hunting is in the fall/winter. But most of my practice/range time is in the summer. I’ve got load data from Berger and have several of the powders listed. My question is, which powder would you start load development with.
Reloader 22
Retumbo
Imr 7828
Imr 4350
H 4831 sc
Ultimately I want the most accurate load regardless of temperature, and am not necessarily looking for hottest loads/max velocity.
Thanks

I've found for my 7MM's they all like a very stable load of 62.5 gr of RL22. Do yourself a favor and don't let any idiot talk you out of RL22. They're full of utter shit. And I shoot nothing but 168 Bergers outta my Hunting 7MM. It's a Model 700 BDL built in 69, still original barrel and kills everything it shoots at. This is NOT a hot load by any means, right at 2900 fps. Hence barrel life? ;)

Reactions: Snuby642
What are the temperature variations that you shoot ? High vs low temp
Thanks
I've found for my 7MM's they all like a very stable load of 62.5 gr of RL22. Do yourself a favor and don't let any idiot talk you out of RL22. They're full of utter shit. And I shoot nothing but 168 Bergers outta my Hunting 7MM. It's a Model 700 BDL built in 69, still original barrel and kills everything it shoots at. This is NOT a hot load by any means, right at 2900 fps. Hence barrel life? ;)

I'm in Washington State. I normally shoot in 50 to 70 degree weather, but hunt in colder of course. If you're gonna go down the RL22 isn't temp stable road, it doesn't apply to me, and I've NEVER experienced what some claim, but can't say they're wrong in THAT regards.

You hear lots of stuff online. I’m just trying to make a good decision where to start. I appreciate your input. I may give the re22 a try. I’ve got plenty of time to test.
Thanks
I'm in Washington State. I normally shoot in 50 to 70 degree weather, but hunt in colder of course. If you're gonna go down the RL22 isn't temp stable road, it doesn't apply to me, and I've NEVER experienced what some claim, but can't say they're wrong in THAT regards.

RL26 seems to be a new favorite for the Magnums, so don't exclude that one either. If you're just starting out, I'd go with whatever Powder you have the most of that will work, and hopefully be somewhat available when you're ready to buy more. Like you, I'm not a speed demon. Means zilch to me. I want accuracy, repeatable accuracy, period. If I want speed I'll fire off a .204 or a 22-250.

I’m going to try to use what I have for now. A bit tough finding some powders now. But I’ll keep the 26 in mind if I happen to come across it
RL26 seems to be a new favorite for the Magnums, so don't exclude that one either. If you're just starting out, I'd go with whatever Powder you have the most of that will work, and hopefully be somewhat available when you're ready to buy more. Like you, I'm not a speed demon. Means zilch to me. I want accuracy, repeatable accuracy, period. If I want speed I'll fire off a .204 or a 22-250.

What is your personal effective hunting range. If its not long range temp stability becomes less of a factor.

I’ve recently started shooting to 1k. Definitely don’t feel comfortable hunting there, but I’m confident at 700. I’ll continue preparing until then. Id like to be at a max of 700 for my elk hunt, assuming I get this rifle dialed in properly. So, I’m thinking the temp sensitivity will matter.
What is your personal effective hunting range. If its not long range temp stability becomes less of a factor.

You could build a Swift. Just sayin...😁

• Love
Reactions: 1J04
It’s really gonna depend on what your particular rifle likes. Those are good powders for your round. There are others but it’s what you got. Like the above stated, start with what you have the most of cause it’s all hard to find right now. Personally I’ve had better luck with Hodgdon powders than IMR or Viht.

So, I’ve been shooting 140 grain Nosler ballistic tips from this gun. I’ve also been using imr 4350. I wanted to switch to 180’s for the elk hunt, but according to Berger’s stability calculator, my gun will only be moderately stable with 180 grain bullets, so I’m trying the 168’s. (Rifle is suppressed, don’t want a baffle strike) Regardless off powder charge, I’ve never got it under 1-1/4 moa With the ballistic tips. I’m gonna start playing with jump with these Berger’s. My question is should I avoid the 4350 since it wouldn’t shoot the ballistic tips well? Has anyone ever found their gun just doesn’t like a powder? Or is it always a powder/bullet combination?
It’s really gonna depend on what your particular rifle likes. Those are good powders for your round. There are others but it’s what you got. Like the above stated, start with what you have the most of cause it’s all hard to find right now. Personally I’ve had better luck with Hodgdon powders than IMR or Viht.

I can’t speak to that particular combo. I wouldn’t totally give up on a powder because it didn’t shoot a style of bullet so well. I wouldn’t play with seating depth until I found the best performing powder. You can go way down the rabbit hole playing with bullet and powder combo. As far as H4350 goes, I’m not close to an expert but it seems kinda fast or hot for 168gr bullet. I’d go with 4831, H1000, RL-22/25. Start low. Work up and have fun

I was using IMR 4350 (I know it’s similar speed to H4350) . It’s one of the powders listed in the manuals. Though, you’ve got me thinking about powder speeds. I think I’ll try one of the slower powders like 7828 or 22.

H4831
R22
7828 are all somewhat similar burn rates and I think perfect for 168.
Personally I’d look into H4831 first.
It is amazing with Berger 168 classic hunters in my 7 saum.

My 7RM loves 69.5 grains of H-1000 and Bergers. Retumbo would be my second option.