• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder temperature stability

THLR

Private
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2012
This isn't inside scientific standards, but it gives a good indication of performance.

Embedded a temperature sensor inside a primed/ powder filled cartridge and heated the ammunition. The Hodgdon Extreme powders certainly delivered according to advertisement, the V0 spread over a realistic temperature range was very small indeed.

I am working under the assumption that my ammunition carry routines are good enough to treat powder temperature equal to ambient air temperature. Seems to work.

Just skip to time 2:50 to view result only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXC07OTJMAg

Thanks for posting the video!

It blows my mind that "all" the other powder companies do not have a product line of temp insensitive powders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pisses me off

I have several different powders from several different makers. I store it in a temperature controlled environment never more than 80*F and never below 50*F. I keep my primers inside the same building. But they are stored zip lock bags in airtight containers, with desiccant packs inside each container..

That being said, I can control the temps it's stored at. But when it actually goes to the range or hunting woods... ALL BETS ARE OFF. I am slowly making the transition to the Hodgdon Extreme powders. But some of my cartridges will probably stay with the older powders.

But thank you for that information. I've always heard that you're never too old to learn something new.

Thanks again,
Victor

According to what I've read, IMR 8208 XBR is very temperature insensitive, but has burn rates very similar to Varget. In addition, 8208 meters well for an extruded powder, as the grains are shorter that those of Varget. So far I've been extremely satisified in using 8208 in 308 reloads.