• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder weights: what is a good reliable scale that is not too expensive yet not CHEAPLY MADE. Budget conscious?

I did a lot of reloading with a GemPro scale. Throw a charge in the ball park and manually trickle up to weight. 0.02 grain precision. And, I could throw and trickle faster than my chargemaster dispenses. But, I can do other things while the chargemaster is working so I am more efficient with it, even accounting for its slowness.

The gempro is quite adequate, and precise, though a very manual process.

The chargemaster is more automated, freeing you to do something else in the minute or so it takes to throw a charge. But, it is only +\- 0.1 grain.

Lots of people are perfectly satisfied with the beam scale included in the RCBS rockchucker starter kit.

I did a lot of reloading with a GemPro scale. Throw a charge in the ball park and manually trickle up to weight. 0.02 grain precision. And, I could throw and trickle faster than my chargemaster dispenses. But, I can do other things while the chargemaster is working so I am more efficient with it, even accounting for its slowness.

The gempro is quite adequate, and precise, though a very manual process.

The chargemaster is more automated, freeing you to do something else in the minute or so it takes to throw a charge. But, it is only +\- 0.1 grain.

Lots of people are perfectly satisfied with the beam scale included in the RCBS rockchucker starter kit.
Thankyou! Although I've been shooting for 50+ years, I'm just starting to reload. This helps tremendously! Thankyou for your time and explanation.

Anything made by OHaus. Been using mine for 22 years, according to the check weights, it remains accurate. Pictured on shelf in blue. This scale is marketed by Dillon but plainly marked, OHaus.

1678979643185.jpeg

Anything made by OHaus. Been using mine for 22 years, according to the check weights, it remains accurate. Pictured on shelf in blue. This scale is marketed by Dillon but plainly marked, OHaus.

View attachment 8097699
Ohaus has been in the scale business for forever! They are very accurate. Didn't know they made a digital scale. But I should've known. I knew about their triple beam scales but thought that would be too bulky and hard to measure fairly quickly to reload. Thank you!

The Hornady G3 does alright for a cheap scale. $60. To get anything much better, its going to cost + $500(fx120). Anything below that will drift. Which is why I would stay away from the cheaper auto ticklers scales. They drift too.

Let it, the G-3 warm up for 15mins and it stays more stable. But still periodically need to be re tared. It trickles up which most cheap scales wont do. IMO its the best bang for the buck, requires a little more work, but you can get .1 +-grain accuracy if you stay on top of it.

If you want dead nuts accurate auto trickler its gonna cost you about a grand. Unless you are a top level competitor or just super anal, its not necessary but if you can afford it by all means. Get it.

Reactions: roosterpig
Ohaus has been in the scale business for forever! They are very accurate. Didn't know they made a digital scale. But I should've known. I knew about their triple beam scales but thought that would be too bulky and hard to measure fairly quickly to reload. Thank you!
With my beam scale and powder throw, I‘ve created a routine which takes the delay out of the process. I throw a powder charge, put it on the scale to start.

When it is ready, the routine begins. I pour the powder in the tray into the case and immeadiately throw another charge and put it on the scale. I take the charged case, put it in the shell holder and seat the bullet. By the time that is finished, the charge on the scale has settled. Repeat process. If it needs trickling, that is the only time waster.

This way I never have to wait on the scale to settle because it is settling when I am seating the bullet.

Reactions: greg1147