• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Powders for 223, 308, & 6.5cm

stello1001

Professional Newb
Minuteman
  • Feb 20, 2017
    Corpus Christi TX
    Hello all,

I have never reloaded and may or may not do so anytime soon due to the current situation. Anyhow, I think I have a good understanding of what powders work well with certain cartridges. I want to know if there is something I am missing.

For 6.5CM, I know the following are good:

H4350
    R16
    R26

For 223, I know Varget is good for the heavies.
    For 308, I know varget is good too.

Let me just go ahead and say that i got lucky and scored some primers which I believe are the most difficult component to find right now. I have brass as well for all my cartridges that I shoot.

I am doing this thread because I am setting alerts for when there are powders that come in stock. I am in no rush to reload as i have quality loaded factory ammo already.

NO!!! I will not sell my brass nor primers.

I believe I have the main powders for these cartridges listed and set up alerts for them as well. If someone is willing to help and let me know of others, i will appreciate it. In the meanwhile, I will go over reloading threads to see what else i can learn about what powders work for my cartridges.
    Thanks to all and everyone who make this site a great place to learn.

S

**ETA**

In powder valley, I was not able to set alerts. It's almost as if that is not an option on their website. Can anyone confirm?

8202 works great for 223 and 308. From memory, I think it works for light weight 6.5 bullets
    Oh also worth adding 8202 is one of the most temp stable powders and meters well

Reactions: stello1001
    H335 is my go-to powder for 223. Meters excellently and clean burning.

IMR4064 is my go-to 308 powder, but I also use Varget on occasion.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Fullquiver
    Varget is probably the most usefull in all three but in the 6.5CM i keep the bullet weight under 130 grain with it.
    With 123 grain bullet class it seems to be happy in the 2850fps range in my 23" 6.5CM barrel.

There are good loads with Varget for all three. You’ll see a lot of powders that are interchangeable between 308 and 223. I’ve seen good results with H4895 is another to try. I’ve never tried 8208XBR with 308 but others do with success. 2000MR is one I haven’t tried but see others discuss.

It looks like things are falling into place. I managed to score a pound of varget locally for $32.99. What i thought seemed nearly impossible (finding components) is mostly done. Obviously i need bullets and more powder but its a start.

Ill have to buy equipment and a manual too but i have no rush to do so as i have loaded ammo at the moment.

I want to thank everyone who posted here and gave me suggestions.

RL15 and H4895 in .223 and .308 work well for me. 77gr and 175gr SMK’s.
    Varget seems best for 185 Juggs in 308 for me.

Don’t overlook AR Comp, either. VG in 223/308, and with some load work with lighter bullet range in 6.5CM, also quite applicable. Will also agree with Varget being an entirely viable option.

Don’t overlook AR Comp, either. VG in 223/308, and with some load work with lighter bullet range in 6.5CM, also quite applicable. Will also agree with Varget being an entirely viable option.

I got some 130 AR hybrids after seeing posts from others claiming they got over 2800FPS with them and varget.

Then my local store told me they got powder in and my 1lb of varget turned into 4lbs of varget and 3lbs of H4350 so i think im good.