• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Power setting for 100 yds

Petrichor Actual

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2013
NW MO
What magnification do you typically use for 100 yd paper punching? I shot my 308 with a Bushnell Elite 6-24/G2 today. I like to set it at about 14 and I adjusted my parallax, but the image seemed to blur now and then. I wouldn't think it was mirage and I know to look outside the scope now and then to rest your eye. What am I missing? I don't seem to have this trouble when dry firing it. I often get better accuracy using 10 power, but shouldn't this scope be clear in the middle of its power range at 100 yds. Am I expecting too much?

That's because the glass in that scope sucks. Why do u think ppl pay $4k plus for good glass.

Environmental mirage at 100yd shouldn't be insurmountable, but barrel heat may be at work here. Once the barrel achieves significant heating, the image directly ahead of the scope objective can get distorted, and may come and go dependent upon air movement. When the air is stagnant, distortion will grow, when the air moves enough to continuously sweep away the volume ahead of the scope objective, the image will most likely be clear.

Look around this site for 'mirage band' and 'mirage tube' for ideas on how to make this barrel heat-induced mirage go away.

Higher magnifications accentuate the effects of mirage, and that is why I like variables. They allow me to dial down the magnification and reduce the effects of mirage.

Greg

Last edited:
OP,

Greg identified what's happening with your sight picture. A mirage band stretched from muzzle to receiver will solve that problem.

Back to your question of how much power, first consider how much power is needed to understand where the barrel is pointed. Using center of mass holds, the natural ability of the eye to both center and balance things may make magnification moot, if the target is big enough for you to recognize a consistent sight/target relationship; but, since you now have a mindset telling you it's magnification which is what allows a precise understanding for where the barrel is pointed, it may take a leap of faith to come to understand that the best results are also possible with no magnification, when the target overall is big enough to be seen at the distance you wish to shoot it. One more thing, although magnification can be used to see small objects such as golf balls at extreme distance, the capability to hit the target does not increase with the application of more magnification than what is required to see the target, just your ability to see the target better.

Here's an idea, turn your power all the way down and aim center of mass on something like the MR-31 target. This is a 600 yard HP target reduced in scale for 100 yard shooting. After you have altered your mindset that all that is necessary is to understand a consistent sight/target relationship, which does not demand magnification, you will come to realize you can get the best results at lower magnification, or with no magnification; and, you may also discover that higher magnification is in many cases just adding distraction to good shooting.

Last edited:
Hey guys I'm new to the forum and just bouncing from thread to thread. Y'all have already answered a lot of my questions. Love this thing already. Keep up the good work! Thanks