• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Power trim... on tap! w/PICS

Victor Co Heather

Victor Company USA
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2006
SOCAL USA
www.victorcompanyusa.com
Just got my Giraud power trimmer yesterday and WOW! This thing rocks!

There was no setup-- it came with tuned for .308 as requested with a sample .308 cartridge so I tried it out last night on some old brass and it works amazing! So easy that it's actually fun.

This morning I started a batch of 100 Lapua cases that were at 2.011 and trimmed them perfectly to 2.004 in seconds. Plus the chamfer looks superb.

So far, so good. I'd say out of the box, it works just as described.

Giraud.jpg

Re: Power trim... on tap!

Words cannot properly express my level
of jealousy.... as I look at a full bucket
of 308 cases I gotta trim...

someday....

Steve

Your Giraud power trimmer looks very interesting!

Do you have step by step pictures of how that thing works? How you keep the cases straight with the cutter and insuring that you don't cut to much brass off?

Great post!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your Giraud power trimmer looks very interesting!

Do you have step by step pictures of how that thing works? How you keep the cases straight with the cutter and insuring that you don't cut to much brass off?

Great post! </div></div>

It's actually idiot proof (big selling point for me), you simply insert the brass case into the hole in the middle of the gold colored part then gently press and twist case into it. Take about 4 seconds per case. You can't go too far because there is stop in it which you set (or the factory sets) and it will only travel in so far.

Will post some pics tonight.

Are you willing to prep some brass for a price? 1000 308 400 338 lapua etc?
I would like to have one but after a week I would have all of my brass prepped and be done with it ?
Bill

M.45;
I couldn't be more pleased with mine, had it for a year or so.

How long between your order and delivery?
Just curious how bad the backlog is. It is a popular product!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have step by step pictures of how that thing works? How you keep the cases straight with the cutter and insuring that you don't cut to much brass off?</div></div>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGYLmHvKVd0

It indexes off of the shoulder, you control the amount of material trimmed by adjusting the case holder. It's like adjusting a sizing die.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">M.45;

Just curious how bad the backlog is. It is a popular product! </div></div>

I received it five weeks from the day Giruad <span style="font-style: italic">said</span> I called and ordered. The truth is I had actually placed the order 3 weeks before when they said I did and someone got the orders confused.

So I really waited 8 weeks total but no matter- I love the machine and didn't need it until now...

I just POWERED though 100 rounds of brass so fast my fingers are hot. (seriously)

Here is a Lapua once-fired case with factory chamfer:

before-1.jpg

Now this is the difficult part of using a Giraud so watch closely....

Aim for the hole with case neck:

giraud1.jpg

Stick the thing in the hole (tough for some):

giraud2.jpg

Gently push and twist until it grinds no more:

giraud3.jpg

Pull it out and whammo, trimmed, chamfered, deburred.

after-1.jpg

It's that easy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">M.45;

Just curious how bad the backlog is. It is a popular product! </div></div>

I received it five weeks from the day Giruad <span style="font-style: italic">said</span> I called and ordered. The truth is I had actually placed the order 3 weeks before when they said I did and someone got the orders confused.

So I really waited 8 weeks total but no matter- I love the machine and didn't need it until now...
</div></div>

Thanks!
In todays gun/accessory market, that's not bad.
The wait doesn't bother me at all, just curious.
It is damn sure worth the wait!
My one regret is all the time I wasted on trimming/chamfering "before" I got mine.

Re: Power trim... on tap! w/PICS

I have used the Giraud case trimmer for over 4 years,mostly on .50 BMG brass. I trimmed over 5,000 in one month. Not one problem,Well except alot of brass trimmings. I used a garden glove,the ones that look like it is half dipped in liquid rubber. I just use the trimmer on .223 and .308 now. A friend borrowed mine and purchased one the next week. It works. I have had 3 gracys sold them all. R/ Mike

Giraud trimmers are by far the best out there, period. If you do a lot of shooting (I shoot high power, so I thru 100s to 1000+ rounds per month) its mandatory. And, like posted with pics earlier, its so dang easy even a caveman could do it!

Get one! You wont regret it.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Giraud trimmers are by far the best out there, period. If you do a lot of shooting (I shoot high power, so I thru 100s to 1000+ rounds per month) its mandatory. And, like posted with pics earlier, its so dang easy even a caveman could do it!

Get one! You wont regret it.

John
</div></div>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o5JV0Fs_GE8"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o5JV0Fs_GE8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rijndael</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have step by step pictures of how that thing works? How you keep the cases straight with the cutter and insuring that you don't cut to much brass off?</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">It indexes off of the shoulder</span>, you control the amount of material trimmed by adjusting the case holder. It's like adjusting a sizing die. </div></div>

that's the ticket! I was wondering how the brass was being cut to length if it wasn't being measured off the base. Now it all makes sense!

It looks like something I need.

I reload for a bunch of different cartridges. What do you have to do to switch between cartridges such as, for example, 308 Winchester, 223 Remington and 7mm Remington Magnum? Since it indexes off the shoulder, I would also presume it wouldn't work for straight walled cartridges or for cartridges without much of a shoulder such as the 375 H&H Magnum.

I've been saving change for a while now to get a Giraud. I have a friend who has one and let me try it out. If you don't want to spend the money on one, never try one. Even for a moderate reloader like myself, I feel that one of their units is well worth the price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grumulkin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It looks like something I need.

I reload for a bunch of different cartridges. What do you have to do to switch between cartridges such as, for example, 308 Winchester, 223 Remington and 7mm Remington Magnum? Since it indexes off the shoulder, I would also presume it wouldn't work for straight walled cartridges or for cartridges without much of a shoulder such as the 375 H&H Magnum. </div></div>

To switch between cartridges you need to switch blades and reset the cutting depth. Each giraud comes with one set of blades and you can order more direct from Giraud.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LARMIKE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have used the Giraud case trimmer for over 4 years,mostly on .50 BMG brass. I trimmed over 5,000 in one month. Not one problem,Well except alot of brass trimmings. I used a garden glove,the ones that look like it is half dipped in liquid rubber. I just use the trimmer on .223 and .308 now. A friend borrowed mine and purchased one the next week. It works. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #3333FF">I have had 3 gracys sold them all</span>.</span> R/ Mike </div></div>

Curious about the gracys.
I've heard that their quite respectable when they are upgraded with Giraud carbide blades.
Please educate...
(Done 1K pieces of .308 and have ~500 to go.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rovieairto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So you stick the brass in the hole?
And then what do you do? </div></div>

Yes, and push the case down against a spring that give's a little resistance, keep pushing until it stops @ your pre set trim to length. When it stops cutting you pull out the case which is now trimmed to length and inside & outside mouth are chamfered.

I was actually trying to be silly.
Now I feel bad.
I've heard that these are the "bees knees" when trimming needs to be done.
Do you have control over the amount of inside and outside chamfer?

Yes, in that it's a single three-angle blade that can be adjusted for distance from center of rotation(radius).
This is also important in that the size of the necks must be consistent to get consistent trimming.
There is no individual adjustment.