• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Powermatic (Logan lathe) comments/criticisms???

lvcatfish

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2005
Pahrump, NV
I'm looking for purchase advice and have already performed quite a bit of online research.
A local equipment dealer has a Powermatic model 1955L model lathe for sale. Serial number indicates approx 1985 manufacture. Leadscrew, ways and overall condition indicate little use. It includes approx 50 hardinge 5c collets and has a mounted headstock collet closer. There is also a way mounted enco hexmatic auto-indexing 6 station turret. They want $3750 firm which seems a little spendy to me.

I want a lathe for hobby level gunsmithing. I'm more than an idiot but nowhere near a pro. I don't want crap but lets face it money is an issue. I am not into online auctions but would not be opposed to travelling for a good deal. I can't seem to find anything locally.
I trust this guy but his prices tend to be high. Where should I be looking? I know this topic has been beat to death on a number of forums but I am tired of looking; I want to start buying. Anyone want to unload a lathe?

All advice appreciated; I am frustrated but not ready to give up.

Re: Powermatic (Logan lathe) comments/criticisms???

I was a little shocked myself when he wouldn't budge on the price. Spindle bore is 1-3/8" with the collet closer removed. This seems to be pretty much what I want (except for price).
I would need the following additional parts to start:
3 phase converter
toolpost (there is a compound rest with empty dovetail).
new chuck suitable for chambering
That bumps the total up closer to 5k. Surely there are better values to be found. Am I expecting too good of a deal here?
I want to start making swarf!