• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

practical rimfire scopes

dnj42230

Private
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2009
Fayetteville, AR
First off, my objective is to learn, with my son, how to shoot long range. We have a lot of experience shooting rifles pistols etc... but have never really got into the art of shooting long. So once my son expressed an interest, that was it. Easy decision really since I've always wanted to learn. I have bought two 22lr as trainers to help us. Now I need optics, while I would love to buy a couple of $100 scopes that don't have all the same features as the scopes that would be on our centerfire rifles it doesn't make since to me. My belief is that we need to have the same, 1/4 MOA adjustment, mil dot reticle, and finger adjustable knobs with magnification that would allow us to get out to 150-200 yards. The problem is buying for two, as I said I would love to save some cash if possible and have found some reasonable scopes that don't have all the features listed above. I'm just not sure that any of the above features should be negotiable. My question is should I just suck it up and by a scope (scopes) with those specs or is there just as much to be learned with a scope with say a ballistic or duplex reticle and not so easily adjustable knobs. Thanks for any replies.

Re: practical rimfire scopes

I just put a CenterPoint 4-16x on my MkII. I can't give you a full recommendation yet, because I have only had it out once. It seems like a pretty good deal. You can get them for $69 at WalMart. They are made in China and have decent glass for the "cheap" scopes. The turrets are advertised as 1/4 MOA (I have not been able to test that) and they come with a Mil reticle. The Parallax is adjustable from 5yrds to infinity. It also has an illuminated reticle although it seems like it's too bright on the lowest setting.

I plan on getting out later this week or the next and running a box test on it.

BTVS_2951.jpg

john_2958.jpg

So you do feel that the scopes on your trainer rifles should have the same specs as the scopes on your centerfire?

You might take a look at the NIKON Buckmaster 6X18X40 side focus Mil Dot @ $299. They come with target knobs,sunshade and life time warranty,very clear bright glass. They will adjust down to under 25 yds or out as you shoot longer ranges. The click adjustments are 1/8, but most are now. The side focus will make you never buy another without it. They have the same internals as the Monarch less the coatings. I doubt that either of you would wish you had a different scope as you might with some of the others.
LoneWolf, great pics, and a fine looking new shooter! Well done. Regards

A 10x Bushnell 3200 mildot with 1/4 moa target turrets can be had for under $200 and is a best buy.Barrett used to even put them on their single shot .50's.It would match up against a Super sniper 10x for your centerfire rifles which will take you quite some time to outgrow.
Shooting 1 inch target dots at 100yds with a 10x and a .22 will develop your skills.

I put one of these on a couple of my .22's. Not a bad scope for the price. The clicks are positive, passes the box test, and is quite clear.

The 6-24 on my CZ:
IMG_0932.jpg

They also have a 3-9 that's a little shorter. If I were doing it over that's what I'd have put on my 10/22. Another option is the Simmons 22 Mag line. They have an AO and hand turrets w/duplex crosshair in the same price range.

I second the Nikon Buckmaster 6-18.

That said, mine does not focus down under 25 yards. No problem at 50 and down to 30-35 or so, but it won't be perfect at 25 and you should not expect it to be.

Also, I strongly recommend their BDC reticle in this scope. The little circles are just perfect for rimfire targets. Trust me and try it.

i vote for leupold vx II 6-18 with target turrets and fine plex. it costs more but it has good glass and positive 1/4moa clicks and can be put on your centerfire when you make the step for a good starter in the centerfire catagory.

I have 4 of the Tasco 6-24 MilDot scopes mentioned above. They list at or around $70 each, and have stood up to every application, .22LR to .30-'06 featherweight, I have applied them to over the past three years. They owe me nothing. For .22LR, their best feature is that they focus on down to 15yd.

Mine needed to be remounted for longer distances, as the mounts I had were wasting over 30MOA of vertical travel. Once that was resolved, the scopes became stellar.

Greg

I have a Tasco 6-24x Mildot on my mixmaster AR. It's nothing to write home about. It works but on 24x it's like looking through an empty milk glass. On lower powers it does OK.

I would rate the CenterPoint as a step above the Tasco in clarity. I don't know about accuracy or durability yet.

Check out the Weaver V- series, with FCH or dot, semi-target turrets. Nice scope for the money. Plus they focus down to 30ft.

I run a tru-glo 6-24 mil-dot on my savage 22 and 22-250. Glass is better than centerpoint and seems to hold zero. Paid $50 each and was an extreme bargain in my view. Clicks are positive and accurate.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I need to come clean. More than the typical what scope question, I wanted to know how important it is to have all the same features available on your trainer as on your primary rifle system. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

The real problem with costs isn't just that I have two scopes to buy... it's that I have four to buy. I also have a modified dpms 308b and a fn spr to scope as well. So thats were I'm coming from.

At this time I'm leaning toward a bushnell 3200 5-15md for my 22lr, a centerpoint suggested above for my sons 22lr, both cz's. By the way anyone in the market for a rimfire the cz's really are as good as I've seen for under 1k. On the 308s Im thinking nightforce or bushnell 6500t. As always all suggestions welcome.

If the 22 is going to be a trainer in the true sense of practicing for your precision rig, I'd say to make them as same as possible. If you want mildot reticle with 1/4 turrets, I'd recommend finding a 10X or 16X super sniper for the CZ. They have assloads of elevation adjustment so you wouldn't run into any problems if you want to stretch your legs to 200 or 300 with the 22, they focus down to 10m and are pretty bulletproof. They also hold their value if you move up down the line.

I don't know what the 3200 5-15 has for elevation travel, but the 3200 10X mildot has a bunch. Only problem with the 3200 10XMD is the fixed parllax, I believe they are fixed for 150yds (the one I had for years was not the clearest at 100 and got beeter further out).

Keep in mind 200yds from a 50yd zero will run 26-29moa when you are choosing.