• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Practical/Tactical Practice-position shooting

Nocalphoenix

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2008
Montana
I have been playing with lowlights drill and really like the concept of focusing on each shot. For positions other than prone/bipod what would be an appropriate target size? Im wondering about kneeling, barricade, sitting etc. Im thinking along the line of about 3" for me, anyone else have thoughts on this? For my offhand Im still happy to hit the 6" plate and Im not sure if going to paper would be any benifit.

Re: Practical/Tactical Practice-position shooting

In my personal practice, I use the following size targets with a precision rifle:

Supported with the front of the rifle on a barricade, etc: 2 MOA
Sitting or kneeling: 3 MOA
Offhand: 5 MOA

Those are the accuracy standards I work towards. I don't always meet them. When I start doing that, I'll go smaller.

I use 3" round shoot-n-c's stuck on IPSC silhoutette targets to 300meters because that's what I have. I don't always hit the dots, though.

And for offhand, after about a second or two, I'm happy if I place the shot properly on the silhouette.

That said, I don't practice position shooting beyond 300, although perhaps I should learn to do sitting/kneeling properly to 400 with bigger dots.

It will depend on how tight you can get the position and how flexible you are. I like shooting positions because it is more realistic. Lindy's sizes seem like a decent goal to start for.

Don't get wraped around the traditional stances try some out for yourself. Just grap a rifle and start proping it on body parts and objects. Remember some of the rules for positions and see how many different ways you can shoot and make decent hits. Remember not to hold your breath too long waiting for the perfect sight picture, it won't happen. Follow through, and incorporate the sling even if you have to wrap it around the object your resting on.

I would add that raising the heart rate and breathing with PT and shoot for 2-3 MOA.

I have done the Sniper MC PFT that involves run a mile shoot 5 shots prone, run 1 shoot 5, run 1 shoot 5. We did it at 400 and 600 most of us kept it with in 1.5 MOA. Just something to throw in every so often. Sorry back to positions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't get wraped around the traditional stances try some out for yourself.</div></div>

Indeed. My only rule for position shooting is, "do something which works."

You don't have to run a mile to get your heart rate and breathing up - I do much shorter distances.
laugh.gif

And you can dry-fire that way, too.

P.S. Nobody gets to be a good position shooter live-firing on the range.

Good position shooters are developed dry firing in back yards.

Thanks for the info. I have a low velocity air rifle (about 500fps) and follow through is critical to get good results and I use it for a lot of Field rest type positions. I might set it up for a full swing as well for more position shooting.