• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Practical Workouts for PRS Matches

Archer 6

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2018
Maybe this has been answered already...Does anyone have any good workout recommendations in preparing for matches? I was looking for some good cardio and strengthen suggestions geared toward shooting different stages. Thanks.

I see no one responded. Probably because if you’ve ever spent any time watching YouTube you’ve noticed the majority of shooters are one Big Mac away from cardiac arrest. It’s the fat mans sport.

But I’ll throw my .02 cents in the ring. I do exercises that elevate heart your heart rate for a 15 to 30 minutes. It could be 4 to 6 stations or a As Many Rounds As Possible (AMRAP) in 15, 20 minutes.

I do not recommend if you consistently do not lift weights don’t go out and hurt yourself. Do more body weight stuff. A couple times a week I do a dry fire session with my rifle and before the stage I’ll do a few burpees or 30 seconds or mountain climbers then try the stage. You’ll notice the little mistakes you make when more calm and magnified.

Just a thought.

I agree with Matt, and I'll add that really any level of fitness will help. What I mean by that is if you are at least doing something-it can't hurt.
I've been doing a fitness thing for about 10 years now, and I have tried a lot of things. At 48, I'm not ripped, but I would consider myself pretty fit.
I've done everything from 5x5 with pretty heavy weights to P90X to just treadmill work. I'm at the point now where I do a modified 5x5 Madcow and throw in 2 miles or so on the elliptical about 3 days a week. Find that groove and what you like and go for it. If you don't enjoy it, it will be tough to maintain.
I get a bit depressed when I can't do my workout

Reactions: EN2722
I appreciate the responses. i agree...apparently not a lot fitness gurus in the PRS game. I’m mainly focused on the cardio aspects to help with transitioning be shooting positions. Good cardio conditioning has to be beneficial in helping with breathing fundamentals and staying on target.

Reactions: D1gger and EN2722
I appreciate the responses. i agree...apparently not a lot fitness gurus in the PRS game. I’m mainly focused on the cardio aspects to help with transitioning be shooting positions. Good cardio conditioning has to be beneficial in helping with breathing fundamentals and staying on target.

That’s a good start.

Honestly, doing something is better than doing nothing!

Reactions: D1gger
I think the first questions have to do with your current fitness level, your goals beyond PRS, and the amount of time you can invest in exercise.

Starting off at a low level, establishing a simple step goal and hitting it each day with the most basic movement (walking) is going to pay off in many more ways that just rifle shooting.

Beyond that, what I would call "intentful cardio" is beneficial. Pick an activity - running, swimming, cycling, rowing, whatever - and try to get your heart rate up for 20-30 minutes a day. You'll get used to performing a basic function with elevated heart rate, and eventually there are some adaptations that occur which will decrease your heart rate for a given amount of exertion. Once again, this has benefits that go way beyond running around with a rifle.

Some combination of resistance training - bodyweight, iron, machines, whatever - and cardio would be the next evolution. Over the past year, I've incorporated exercises from these guys into my routines:

There are thousands of other trainers on social media, and some of my buddies have busted out their old P90X DVDs in the last few weeks. Once things get back to normal, I'd suggest finding a local trainer who has experience with clients of your age and condition. There are endless ways to combine weights and cardio, and with a bit of creativity, it's possible to get large benefits with minimal investment of time.

Really, there isn't going to be much about training for PRS that doesn't also carry over into a bunch of other activities, so you're not looking for anything specific - you want some aerobic conditioning so you're not sucking air after every transition, you want some strength so that you can hold a heavy-ass rifle while maintaining a variety of positions, and you want some flexibility. That's fundamentally not any different than the average middle-age golfer or the guy who wants to play hoops with the younger guys at his gym.

Good luck!

I've never, and don't know anyone who has ever been out of breath or remotely winded on a PRS stage. I don't think cardio workouts will show a big improvement. could be wrong though.

maybe the 1 off stage where you have to do a 10-15ft sprint to run up to your rifle. but those aren't very common - at least at my local matches.

Now, i will say that after a long two day match - my legs/quads have been sore from squatting, and kneeling, up and down, standing all day.

I've never, and don't know anyone who has ever been out of breath or remotely winded on a PRS stage. I don't think cardio workouts will show a big improvement. could be wrong though.

maybe the 1 off stage where you have to do a 10-15ft sprint to run up to your rifle. but those aren't very common - at least at my local matches.

Now, i will say that after a long two day match - my legs/quads have been sore from squatting, and kneeling, up and down, standing all day.

Improving your aerobic capacity will decrease the muscle soreness of which you speak.

Reactions: Olen_4504
Here's a workout plan for you:

Carry rifle for 25 yards, rest for 20mins.

Pick up rifle and hold it for 15 seconds

Place rifle onto gamechanger bag for 90 seconds.

Rinse and repeat.

:)

Reactions: Olen_4504
Learning to control your pre stage nervousness and jitters will do more than being in peak physical condition ever will in this game. You could be a marathon runner and it wouldn't make a difference if you have the nervous shakes.

Honestly, yoga is probably the best for fitness preparation for PRS. Increase flexibility, practice breath control, and establish a calm mind. Laugh if you will, but for both body and mind, yoga is perfect.

Put 50 lbs of useless crap in a backpack and go for a hike. Every few minutes take it off and throw it on the ground. Do some squats and lunges.

Seriously any workout that challenges you and increases mobility and stamina will help.

Reactions: OlsenG_360