• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Practice Rig Caliber ???

SSC

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
I am looking to build or buy a practice rig to help me get out to 1000+. I currently own a custom 700 in 7mm STW and have about 700-1000 rounds of barrel left before it starts dropping off. I am thinking about a 7mm-08 but i was wondering about barrel life. I just read an attachment that was on the "best non-magnum caliber for 1000+" thread that said the 7mm was okay with barrel life. I would also like to use this gun for my local F-class comps just to get better in a variety of situations. I reload so I am open to just about any caliber I can get a barrel for. My list of requirements are just like every other practice rig, cheap to shoot, accurate, medium to low recoil, and high barrel life. One of the main reasons for the 7mm-08 is the 162 gr Amax which I shoot out of the STW.

On the other hand you can walk into any gunshop and buy a .308 that will get me started. which i have considered many many times. Plus i have the dies for the .308 already (reload for a buddy).

I tried to search as much as I could about the 7mm-08 before I posted but the search function didn't pull anything up when I typed 7mm-08.

Re: Practice Rig Caliber ???

Anything based on the 308 necked down is a good caliber. You cannot go wrong with the 7mm-08. I looked seriously at building a 7mm-08, but went with a 260 Rem. Since you have the same bullets for your STW, it would work fine.

For cheaper practic I have opted for the 6.5x47 just to practice to 1000. I am attempting to have it built very similar to my bigger rifles so that it feels the same.

What barrel life you expect to getfrom the 7mm STW I own this caliber but in a hunting rifle. Sako 75 with a McMillan Sako Safari Stock.

With ammo/components on the short side, I lean toward using the .22LR at distances well out beyond common target range. While centerfire ammo/components are periodically drying up locally, I find that .22LR remains available, albeit at inflated prices. At least you can usually get some when you need it. At 100-150yd, the wind becomes a factor and can somewhat simulate the extended range effects. Some go further, out to 200yd and even 250yd. One key advantage is that unless your 1000yd venue is quite close, venues out to 250yd are likely to be more numerous and closer to your home. The .22LR is quieter, too; reducing the sound impact on gun resistant neighbors. What they don't hear can't hurt you.

Greg

Agree with Greg about the 22 LR for practice. However, for me, I also try to alternate with the 223 also. No I am NOT shooting the 223 at a 1000 yards. It's more like a 400 - 500 yards range to pratice reading the wind and the trigger pull memory.

Right now, I'm in 1Kyd Limbo, no place within reach. Word from the owner as of last week is that the Dundee pit, which was about 750yd, will be available again sometime around the end of this year, and that it has been lengthened by about another 100yd. Nice news, but that was what he was saying this time last year too. We'll see; not costing me anything to wait him out.

Like DesHK; the bulk of my centerfire shooting is being done with .223, and may soon be done with .222. It's all match shooting at 200yd in our Odessa FV event. Until things improve, it's a true hoot.

Greg

For less expensive practice I'd suggest a 1/8 twist .243 Win. with Hornady 105 Amax bullets.

Running those in Win. brass and 46 grains of H-1000 you might just find you like the low recoil, excellent ballistics and long barrel life this combination delivers.