• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Practicing beyond 100 yards

RickVa

Private
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2022
VIRGINIA
New to the site, so pardon my ignorance if this topic has been discussed.
My local ranges are only 100 yards. Is there a way to set up scope/target to practice shooting further out?
Thanks in advance.

Smaller targets and instability from other positions.

Dryfire wise the DFAT system.

Reactions: RickVa and KZP
It’s all angular anyway.

A 2 moa target is a 2 moa target, no matter the distance. Your wobble is your wobble, no matter the distance.

Practice building positions on the clock and shoot 1” dots @ 100yds. You can also dial in some wind and practice your natural point of aim being on a wind hold and not the center of the reticle.

If you can build a position on a stable prop, get a shot off and hit a 1” dot in ~ 8-12 sec…..

You’ll do very, very well at most matches.

As long as you can see your miss (or being off center on steel) and correct for the remainder of the stage…….unless is super switchy/tricky wind, you’ll do very well at most any match.

TLDR: shooting further than 100yds for match practice is overrated. I have access to 1050, and still spend most of my time @ 100yd.

while it won't help you learn wind calls you could try shrinking your targets and groups shooting at increasingly smaller targets instead of 1' targets at 100 yards try 1/4'' targets or smaller and all of which you can use 1/4 inch lable stickers or plane white paper and make your own dime sized circles so no extra equipment or cost except the paper . you can get pretty creative making your own targets or using others idea's best of luck with what ever you do decide to try and in finding a range that gives you a little more room . we started using paper plates then cutting them smaller and smaller and adding shapes to them .

Reactions: RickVa
Practice building positions on the clock and shoot 1” dots @ 100yds. You can also dial in some wind and practice your natural point of aim being on a wind hold and not the center of the reticle.

If you can build a position on a stable prop, get a shot off and hit a 1” dot in ~ 8-12 sec…..
OP, this is a great suggestion. Invest some time on building one position at a time and getting one good shot off. Work on figuring out body position for best recoil management so you can spot your own impacts and make corrections based on what you see. If you have 50 rounds for practice, build 50 positions. It may be fun to load 10 rounds in a mag, build one position and crush the target; but building positions over and over again is what will make them muscle memory when you're on the clock and free up brain cells to focus on other things like the wind and target order.