• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Prairie dog AR 15. Stock or build?

buckskin52

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2009
western PA
Got a friend that wants an accurate ar 15 with a 1 in 8 twist to handle 77smk's if he wants to go past 500-600. Will mostly be shooting 55 vmax. What's out there that is worth about 1k and fits this bill? Or is he better off building? Trying to stay around 1k. Thanks

77s will pencil through.

65 Sierra GK BTSP probably better choice to get desired effect on 5-600 yd shots.

I'd build, allows for a rifle / upper with desired features.

Get a WOA varmint upper to drop on top of a lower with a SSA-E trigger installed.

White Oak Armament | Complete Uppers | Varmint Uppers

Thats what I did with mine and it shoots less than 1/2" at 100 yds. with 65 grain Game Kings. I got the 18" varmint with 1 in 7" twist.

Attachments

• 100 yd. group .JPG
    100 yd. group .JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I personally would build but thats me, he may be better off buying one assembled. WOA makes a good barrel and upper assemblies for a good price. At $1000 though, I would be building a custom upper around a Krieger or Lilja. As for the twist rate, a 8 or 7 twist will handle anything you can load in a mag from 55gr on up.

Got a friend that wants an accurate ar 15 with a 1 in 8 twist to handle 77smk's if he wants to go past 500-600. Will mostly be shooting 55 vmax. What's out there that is worth about 1k and fits this bill? Or is he better off building? Trying to stay around 1k. Thanks

I've had my custom build AR15 for 4 years, and I am just doing some small mods to make it a small game rifle for long distance. (More powerful scope, silent heavy capture spring, new scope mount, and just polishing up and truing everything.)

I started a thread about increasing the accuracy in AR15's and most of the responses lent themselves to finding the right ammo for your rifle (hand loads, or manufactured).

As far as your question about stock or custom, I would say custom. That way you are not getting rid of a lot of parts that comes with the stock rifle. If your friend wants to fine tune his rifle for precision long range shooting, it will become a custom build anyway, even if he starts with a stock rifle.

I bought a Stag model 6, a few years ago, and it's very accurate.Doing it again, I'd get a good upper bull barrel set up, and put the savings into a better scope.

I'd build it. My varmint rifle has is kind of unique compared to what's out there and I wouldnt change a thing.

-Sun Devil Mfg billet receiver set with upper tensioning screw and slick side upper
-Jard 1.5lb
-Y/M national match chrome bolt
-A2 stock with adjustable Accuracy Speaks butt plate
-20" White Oak, non threaded varmint barrel
-Ergo grip
-Plain knurled round handguard

Awesome shooting!!!!
That is what I'm hoping to achieve with my AR after I'm done fine tuning.
Are you doing hand loads?

Yes I reload and use Varget since I have an 8 pound jug of it, CCI BR4 primers and Sierra 65 grain Game Kings for deer and 69 grain Match Kings for target shooting. The 69 grain MKs shoot much tighter 5 shot groups at 100 yds than the 65 grainers.