• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Prairie dog thread.

Bender

Known Troll
Minuteman
  • Feb 12, 2014
    Cheyenne WY.
    Rem 700 Tactical.223 and lane Scorpion King .30 can fixed SWFA 10x

~300yds x-tac 62g green tip
    CF85DF80-9268-4DBD-883B-2807330DEECA.jpeg

-550yds x-tac 62g green tip
    Through the heart!!

2C72A6B8-672F-485F-B308-7F29F3BCFDD9.jpeg
    A50D289B-57D1-41EE-BF7A-4CB79102EE40.jpeg

Reactions: Franck
    Headed to Casper in about nine days for a few days of PD shooting. We'll be rolling right thru Cheyenne. Hoping for a smooth drive and beautiful weather. Oh, and LOTS of prairie dogs!
    Send me a text message, if I am in town I will take you to these state sections. You will just be sworn to secrecy LOL. 307-630–8851

Reactions: shoot4fun
    I am curious but do prairie dogs make good eating? Or is it just pest control? Looks like fun either way.

Interrogatory: Do they make ear pro that plays music while your shooting......you know for tunes like Hell’s Bells or For Whom The Bell Tolls??

Interrogatory: Do they make ear pro that plays music while your shooting......you know for tunes like Hell’s Bells or For Whom The Bell Tolls??
    Peltor 300 or Peltor 500 has bluetooth so you can play whatever music your heart desires as you gleefully carry out Death's orders.

Reactions: dirtking
    Peltor 300 or Peltor 500 has bluetooth so you can play whatever music your heart desires as you gleefully carry out Death's orders.

Sweet! That’s P Dog’n heaven right there, I don’t care who you are...that’s heaven?

I have always wanted to go but never made time for it. When I worked in Nevada there were a few spots with them all over the place but I was just getting back into shooting and didn't take any guns with me. If I knew what I know now lol, that place was great for hunting and long range shooting.

I have always wanted to go but never made time for it. When I worked in Nevada there were a few spots with them all over the place but I was just getting back into shooting and didn't take any guns with me. If I knew what I know now lol, that place was great for hunting and long range shooting.
    Leaving Wed for S Dakota. Pdog shooting is about the second or third most fun thing you can do with your clothes on. 4th year in a row, too much fun to quit.

Want to give it a try, what grain bullet would you use in .223 at the LGS I saw some prairie dog bullets I thought were 26 grain

The best bullet for 223 and prairie dog shooting is a 50 gr vmax. Try some Ae223gtv ammo from federal American Eagle it should do the trick.

Reactions: sandwarrior
    So im passing thru Nebraska and Colorado the later part of this week heading to Utah. Bringing my AX in 6.5 CM. Hope to get a chance to shoot. Any suggestions ?

I just picked up 700 53gr Varmageddons to load up over Tac for pdogs in my AR, few things are as much fun as hunting ground squirrels or prairie dogs. I need to get out this weekend...

Just got back from WY. It was a guided hunt for six shooters. We hunted two shooters to a guide on private ranch land near Evansville and Glenrock. They had a hard time with the first morning for the group I was in; just not much to shoot at in what had been a great town. May have been hit by a touch of plague. We lost a couple hours shooting before we got in the right spot and then, after lunch, got into a huge very active town. All in all I shot very near 800 rounds for our field time ( 8 hours each Tuesday and Wednesday and then 3 hours on Thursday) before we headed back toward home. Had great weather without any rain and a little cooler temps than last year. Also had little to no wind until mid afternoon both days. I shot 32 grain Vmax in 204 and 50 Vmax in 22-250 with ranges from point blank to 650 yards. Did play around with the 6.5 Grendel for about 100 rounds too. Lots of fun! Love the Wyoming landscape too!

I really need to figure out a PD hunt for next year. SD, WY - any other preferences? Probably go guided just to keep it easy the first time anyways

I’ve gone to SD for years, shot on the Res with Indian guides. Never again, lying MOFO’s, $100.00 a day for a drunk ‘guide’ per shooter,,,,Claimed the towns were virgin, rolled up and every dog was down for 600 yds.
    There’s a website out there that caters to prairie dog shooting guides, we went to NE Wyoming last year and had a decent time. FYI, .204 Ruger/40gr Vmax is KING!

I’ve got access to public and private land here in CO. Activity is sporadic, but still a ton of fun! Gnats can be a real hassle though!!

DK

Carry a mouse squeaker when you're shooting them. As they start to duck back in their holes if you start chattering with the squeaker they will start to peek back out. Shooting suppressed helps as well. Shot many multiples as they just watch Bob get blown to pieces, then Fred gets it, then Sam.

Carry a mouse squeaker when you're shooting them. As they start to duck back in their holes if you start chattering with the squeaker they will start to peek back out. Shooting suppressed helps as well. Shot many multiples as they just watch Bob get blown to pieces, then Fred gets it, then Sam.

The squeaker works on rock chucks too.
    I've actually had a coyote come in while shooting chucks and playing with the mouse squeaker. The coyote never left...

Reactions: Bender
    The squeaker works on rock chucks too.
    I've actually had a coyote come in while shooting chucks and playing with the mouse squeaker. The coyote never left...

I have had foxes come in and drag prairie dogs while I was shooting them. I have found a few towns that if you hide your car, then shoot a little and stop, a coyote will show up more often than not, loudest coyote call I have ever used, but when its normally a dinner bell.

I have had foxes come in and drag prairie dogs while I was shooting them. I have found a few towns that if you hide your car, then shoot a little and stop, a coyote will show up more often than not, loudest coyote call I have ever used, but when its normally a dinner bell.

I have several times had hawks hit the carcasses about the same time I recover from the recoil and get my scope back on it. Wonderful!

This was killed with a CZ 455 at a confirmed distance of 308 yards by a Leica 2700 range finder. I dialed up 14 Mils and held 4 Mils for the crazy New Mexico wind. The bullet barely penitrated the skin but most have broken his back.

Attachments

• 4AE5F711-11C6-4C91-93D3-556E46F10E36.jpeg
      4AE5F711-11C6-4C91-93D3-556E46F10E36.jpeg
      988.1 KB · Views: 49
    I've been using a Ruger #1 in 204 Ruger as my "go to" PD gun. It does the trick, but after playing with my RAP in 6.5 CM, I wondered what a RAP in 204 would do. So I got one, and it has the typical RAP super accuracy.

We all know there isnt much kick or muzzle jump to the 204, but I figured why not, its treaded so I put an AR 223 brake on it just for kicks.

Talk about a laser, no movement what so ever. You get the full "mist" show.

The Ruger 32 gr pills work great in my Ruger #1 but the RAP likes the 40 gr bullets better.

Both work exceptionally well on coyotes also.

I’ve been running a 308 with 110gr nosler varmageddons over 50.8gr of TAC, shoots beautifully in my RPR. Under 200m it gets quite a few airborne but falls off pretty hard past 300.

I second the mouse squeaker, I take my coyote caller out with me and just run the field mouse recording while loading mags.

.223 using 40g V-Max or Nosler BT's is the ticket. Tamp those down onto a max load of H335 to get 3600 fps out of my Rem 700. These are zeroed at 250y. At 150, I aim at their feet and at 350y I aim at their head. Out beyond that I have to hold over. Have taken PD's with this set up out to 572y confirmed. Even at those distances the explosive effects of the V-max is impressive. If it is very windy, I will occasionally switch to 52g or 55g bullets. I like the idea of the mouse squeaker. Never tried that. We usually stop every 50-100rds to cool the bbl and swab it out. During that quiet time, the big ones usually resurface and occasionally, other varmints appear.

Irish