• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Prairie dogging optics, narrowed to two choices

zlman

Private
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2012
Fukulookinat, MN.
I've narrowed my choices down to;
1. Vortex viper pst 6-24
2. Sightron sIII 8-32
Both offer an MOA reticle, which is what I want.
$800ish budget
Both scopes get good reviews, decent glass, similar features. I'm leaning towards the sightron for the extra mag., everything else tells me to go with the vortex. I've heard some rumblings about not being able to get ahold of any vortex pst's(?) need a new optic in my hands, mounted and sighted by may.
So if it were your hard earned dough which would you choose?

Re: Prairie dogging optics, narrowed to two choices

I think your magnifcation is overkill for a PD scope. Anything over 16X is wasted, IMO. They move around too much for the really long shots that would require that much magnification. I had a 5-20 SS on a red-mist-making 243 WSSM. Don't get the occasion to ever turn it above 12X much. In addition to the movement thing, you need something of a field of view to pick them out in as in a big town all the hole start to look the same and it is difficult to tell where you are looking.

Casey

I dunno if I could ever have too much mag. my eyes aren't what they used to be and pd's are pretty small. You're correct in them moving around a lot but I've always had good luck with high power scopes, just need better glass than I currently run.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How far you plan to shoot them?

I say get all the magnification you can and a reticle thats not too thick...it will hide the little bastards at range. Also spotting and shooting the annoying ones that peek only the barest minimum and bark at you all day takes good glass to spot.

If your just gonna shoot the standing, wandering ones out to300-500 max either are fine. I love my 5-25 PH...but I like to reach for them.

<span style="color: #FF9900">The Varmint Hunter reticle Leupold VX3's are really nice as well...the one BDC reticle I like for holds but never use for the BDC feature.</span> </div></div>

I really like the varmint hunter reticle but leupold gets limited respect around here and the above mentioned optics got a lot of praise dumped on them for my budget. This is tax refund money and extra cash doesn't fall into my lap often so I want to practice the buy once, cry once option.

Well, my last trip out PD shooting...I brought my 8-32x NightForce. I used all 32X since we were concentrating on dogs beyond 700 yards. At 800+ yards...I greatly appreciated having that top end. We aren't shooting 100's of rounds mind you...just keeping up the long range skills.

Having said all of this...you have to decide what range you'll be shooting at. If there is a possibility of you shooting out to 1000 yards...say at a range...the 8-32x Sightron is a great choice. Either scope will serve you well. I have an 8-32x S III and it compared very well to the NF I used to own.

I'll be using it out to about 700 yds.
One thing that concerns me about the sightron is FOV 12.2-3.1 vs. the vortex 17.8-5.1. When the dogs are moving around the larger FOV is really needed to track them.
Emailed opticsplanet to check on availability of both scopes, last thing I want is to order one and then have it backordered for a lifetime.

The SIII will have better glass. You my want to consider the 6-24 SIII for shooting pdogs.