• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Prairie Dogs - South Dakota Report

RMB

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2019
Just got back from a 3 day shoot on the Rosebud Reservation.....Left Wisconsin on Monday and other than a severe thunderstorm in Sioux Falls, SD. everything went well. Tuesday was a washout as it rained on and off all day...So, we sat around all day. Wednesday we finally got out and we were on one of the biggest towns I have ever seen with dogs EVERYWHERE. Due to the rain out the day before we shot from about 7:30 AM to 6:30 PM and had a ball. Shot mostly 223 (53 gr Vmax) all morning and when the wind came up started with the 243 (87 GR Vmax) and 6MM AR (95 GR SMK). Even pulled out the 308 and 30-06 (both 168 GR SMK)....but I could not really call my shots due to the recoil. The second day of shooting was even better...a new town with not so many dogs...but sunny 68F and no wind.....the grass was pretty tall and you really had to be quick on the trigger before they got into the tall grass. The guide offered to let us stay an extra day due to the rain the first day (at no charge). We (my son and I) could not stay due to his work and other commitments. The guide did have a cancellation for two weeks from now....everything lined up and we took the three days. So will be going back out. My total round count for two full days was just over 950.

My son just got a 6MM Creed and I was really sceptical.....I mean I had all the dies etc. for my 243. I will say that with 107 and 115 grain Bergers that is one impressive round/rifle combo. My max range with the 243/6MM was about 700 yards and he was shooting 800 to 900 with ease.

Last year they were in a drought condition and this year they have got quite a bit of rain...and everything is so "green". Saw Mule Deer, Antelope and lots of Pheasants.

About 1,430 miles round trip (including driving to and from the towns) and 20.1 MPG with a Chevy Colorado Z71. Midgrade fuel was about $4.65 per gallon.

Congrats on a good trip and lots of shooting. Is the 950 rounds for both shooters??

I got back from a 3 day sage rat shoot out in SE Oregon, 5600 miles round trip a couple weeks ago, but that includes some sightseeing mileage as well. We had good weather for the most part, except for a tornado warning near Edmonton, OK on the way out. I shot a total of 400 rds of 204R and 20 P in 2 days, one day we were in a rimfire area only, and I'm guessing close to 300 rds of 22lr and 17HMR on that day. We had snow and sleet at times while in OR, luckily not while we were out in the rat fields, a good frost one morning when we went out the door heading to the fields. The weather was cooler than normal for this time of year, and the wind was pretty cool for the most part.

Gas prices ranged from $3.99 (lowest) all the way up to $5.20 when we were leaving OR. I averaged a little over 20mpg in the F150 FX4. Plan on going back in 2023.

The 950 was just for me. My son brought 2 AR's (223) and his 6mm CM (bolt) and his round count was about the same.

Congrats on a good trip and lots of shooting. Is the 950 rounds for both shooters??

I got back from a 3 day sage rat shoot out in SE Oregon, 5600 miles round trip a couple weeks ago, but that includes some sightseeing mileage as well. We had good weather for the most part, except for a tornado warning near Edmonton, OK on the way out. I shot a total of 400 rds of 204R and 20 P in 2 days, one day we were in a rimfire area only, and I'm guessing close to 300 rds of 22lr and 17HMR on that day. We had snow and sleet at times while in OR, luckily not while we were out in the rat fields, a good frost one morning when we went out the door heading to the fields. The weather was cooler than normal for this time of year, and the wind was pretty cool for the most part.

Gas prices ranged from $3.99 (lowest) all the way up to $5.20 when we were leaving OR. I averaged a little over 20mpg in the F150 FX4. Plan on going back in 2023.
What towns of the OR?

Oh the memories, used to shoot around Mobridge on Standing Rock res about 12 years in a row. Everything from 17HMR to 243 Ackley, favorite round was TAC20. Had an indian friend who had 5 big dog towns where she ran a few hundred head of cattle, I'd get there and she just handed me the keys to the gates. Miss those trips.
Bryant 243 AI Cooper 22-250.JPG

Damn. Don't let anyone here know. They all ask when we want to come out and if we need ammo.

I can't imagine driving more than 20 miles to shoot a dog town.

Reactions: DIBBS
Did you have to get any tribal permits?

there's piles of prairie dogs this year. 20 minutes down the road i can smack them.

kinda off of shooting them nowadays. can't say i see any reason to kill a critter and not eat it. God made them for a reason.

my .02

there's piles of prairie dogs this year. 20 minutes down the road i can smack them.

kinda off of shooting them nowadays. can't say i see any reason to kill a critter and not eat it. God made them for a reason.

my .02
Happen to know "what" that reason is ???? Other than to shoot of course.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
We use to go out to SD and shoot them all the time ,damn was that fun . If you don't keep them under control by shooting they have to do it by poisoning and that can take out the whole town . Congrats on the good time with you son .

Reactions: Sean the Nailer